Designing a Speed Retarding System for a Gokart

In summary, Simon is a new member of the forum and is looking for advice on designing a speed retarding system for a child's pedal go-kart. He has considered using a centrifugal clutch but does not think it will work. He is now looking into using electric motors and is asking for advice on motor type, size, and wiring. He also mentions the possibility of using adjustable friction pads or a fluid coupling for the braking system. He clarifies that he wants the top speed to be adjustable and not exceeded, but can be increased at the parent's discretion. He is open to other ideas and appreciates any help offered.
simonty
Hi folks, I am new here!

i am currently trying to design a speed retarding system for a childs pedal gokart. Something that is variable, so that a parent can set the speed the gokart can go before the breaks gently apply.

i have figured there are two ways to go with this.

-I do not think the Rpm of the axle will reach anything near high enough to make a centrifugal clutch viable

-which leaves me with electric motors. Would anyone be so kind as to advise me type/size of motor and maybe a brief description on wiring for this?

its just a project I've set myself and I am needing a bit of a helping hand getting going! :) if you have any other ideas, please advise

Cheers Guys,

Simon

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, Simonty.
Do you have to have the brakes actually apply, or do you merely want it to not exceed a pre-set speed? I'm thinking along the line of adjustable friction pads (essentially 'always on' brakes on the axles), which can be tuned to the child's pedaling ability. Perhaps even some sort of fluid coupling in which the resistance increases with speed.
Or do you want the child to be able to achieve top speed easily, but not exceed it? That's tougher.

Ideally, there would be an adjustable speed, where the top speed can be pre-determined and not exceeded, but increased at the parents discretion. It doesn't need to necessarily apply a brake pad using a caliper, could an electric motor be used just to apply a load to the axle? I figured this would be more easily variable, as you could adjust the rpm the motor kicks in at?

Really appreciate the help

Simon

1. How does a speed retarding system work?

A speed retarding system on a gokart utilizes mechanisms such as brakes, air resistance, or engine cutoff to slow down the vehicle's speed. These systems are designed to provide a safe and controlled deceleration without damaging the kart or putting the driver at risk.

2. What are the different types of speed retarding systems for gokarts?

The most common types of speed retarding systems for gokarts include disc brakes, drum brakes, air brakes, spoilers, and engine cutoff systems. Each type has its own advantages and limitations, and the choice may depend on the specific needs and preferences of the driver.

3. How do I choose the right speed retarding system for my gokart?

The choice of a speed retarding system for a gokart may depend on various factors such as the type of track, the speed of the kart, the weight and size of the kart, and the budget. It is important to consider all these factors and consult with experts to determine the most suitable system for your specific gokart.

4. What are the safety precautions when using a speed retarding system on a gokart?

When using a speed retarding system on a gokart, it is important to follow all safety precautions to prevent accidents or injuries. This includes regular maintenance and inspection of the system, wearing appropriate safety gear, and following speed limits and rules on the track.

5. Can a speed retarding system be customized for my gokart?

Yes, many speed retarding systems can be customized to fit different types of gokarts. This may involve adjusting the system's components, such as brake pads or air resistance levels, to match the specific needs and specifications of your gokart. It is important to consult with professionals or experienced gokart mechanics for proper customization.