Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Speed, Time and Relativity

1. Apr 10, 2013 #1
    Long time lurker, first time poster!

I've been presented a question that I do not have the answer too, at least not an accurate answer and was hoping one could enlighten me as to expand my mind. It goes as follows..

If time is relative to speed.

And speed is the relative position to other objects.

What effect does constant relative position to all objects have on time?

If time has an inverse relation to acceleration is the opposite true?

Thanks everyone!
    DP

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 10, 2013 #2
    are you able to re-word that?

4. Apr 10, 2013 #3

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Constant relative positions implies zero relative velocity therefore no time dilation.

5. Apr 10, 2013 #4
    nitsuj,

Wish I could re-word it but that was how it was presented to me. :\ Believe he is bumping around ideas that relate to time dilation on mass. And in his second question, I believe he is asking along the lines of 'since time slows down at much faster speeds, does going slower make time faster?' But I didn't want to respond without getting opinions of others cause I'm still a bit perplexed as to what is actually being asked.

Thanks Integral! Much appreciated!

DP

6. Apr 10, 2013 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What do you mean by "constant relative position to all objects". If you mean the position, relative to all objects, is constant, then you are requiring that everything has speed 0 relative to everything else so there is no motion and "relativity" does not come into it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook