Speed usage in Lattice Boltzmann Method

In summary, the physical speed and sound speed have different roles in the flow equilibrium distribution. The lattice sound speed is used as a scaling factor, while the physical speed represents the flow velocity of the fluid. They are not directly related, which is why they are not converted and used accordingly.
TimeRip496
One thing that confuses me is the physical speed and sound speed. The lattice sound speed cs=1/sqrt{3} corresponds to the physical sound speed for isothermal flow (sqt{RT}). Why isn't the physical speed (e.g. inlet speed up of lid cavity) converted and use accoringly?

$$c_p=\sqrt{RT}≈330m/s \rightarrow c_s=1/\sqrt{3}≈0.5774$$
Then why isn't the physical speed u map accordingly
e.g. physical speed of inlet(lid) is converted
$$u_p=0.2m/s \rightarrow u_l=0.3*0.5774/330=0.00052491$$

Instead the physical speed u_p is used together with the lattice speed of sound c_s in the flow equilibrium distribution.
$${\displaystyle f_{i}^{\text{eq}}=\omega _{i}\rho \left(1+{\frac {{\vec {e}}_{i}{\vec {u}}}{c_{s}^{2}}}+{\frac {({\vec {e}}_{i}{\vec {u}})^{2}}{2c_{s}^{4}}}-{\frac {{\vec {u}}^{2}}{2c_{s}^{2}}}\right).} $$

Physics news on Phys.org
The physical speed is used in the flow equilibrium distribution because it represents the flow velocity of the fluid at any given point. The lattice speed of sound is used as a scaling factor to ensure that the LB model captures the correct behavior of the fluid. The physical speed and the lattice speed of sound both play a role in the flow equilibrium distribution, but they are not directly related.

1. What is the role of speed in Lattice Boltzmann Method?

The speed in Lattice Boltzmann Method (LBM) refers to the velocity of fluid particles in a simulated lattice. It is a crucial parameter in LBM as it determines the behavior and movement of the fluid particles, which ultimately affects the accuracy and efficiency of the simulation.

2. How is speed incorporated into the Lattice Boltzmann Method?

Speed is incorporated into the LBM through the use of a velocity distribution function, which assigns a probability for each fluid particle to have a certain velocity. This function is then used to update the fluid particle's position and velocity in each time step of the simulation.

3. What is the significance of speed in Lattice Boltzmann Method compared to other fluid simulation methods?

In LBM, the use of speed as a fundamental parameter allows for better control and accuracy in simulating fluid behavior, especially for complex systems with varying speeds and flow patterns. This makes LBM a more versatile and efficient method compared to traditional fluid simulation methods.

4. How does the speed affect the stability of Lattice Boltzmann Method simulations?

The speed in LBM can have a significant impact on the stability of the simulation. If the speed is too high, it can cause numerical instabilities and result in inaccurate simulations. On the other hand, if the speed is too low, it can lead to slow convergence and longer simulation times.

5. Are there any limitations to the speed usage in Lattice Boltzmann Method?

While speed is a crucial parameter in LBM, it is not the only factor that affects the accuracy and efficiency of the simulation. Other factors such as the lattice structure, boundary conditions, and relaxation time also play a role. Therefore, it is important to consider all these factors in conjunction with speed to ensure reliable and accurate simulations in LBM.