1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Speed, velocity & acceleration

1. Sep 1, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data---------->
    At a time = 0, a car has a constant velocity of 20 m/s east. At the same time a motorcycle starts from rest in the same direction with an accelerationof 2 m/s2. How long does it take the motorcycle to catch up with the car, and what distance have they traveled by that time?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Do you use the equation: x-x0 = v0t + 1/2at^2?????????

Please help!!! I really want to learn this so if you could show me the steps that would be great! How do you know what equation to use??

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 1, 2007 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

I presume the car has a head start! If the motorcycle is at x=0 at t=0, where is the car at that time?

Write expressions for the position of each as a function of time. Then solve for the time when their positions are equal.

4. Sep 1, 2007 #3

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Of course, the car doesn't have to have a head start. (My bad.) I guess that's what you meant. In which case, at t=0 both are at x=0.

5. Sep 2, 2007 #4
    Sketch the graphs of motion and then look at areas under graphs...no need for equations as such.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?