Speed, velocity & acceleration

In summary, at a time = 0, a car with a constant velocity of 20 m/s east and a motorcycle starting from rest with an acceleration of 2 m/s^2 in the same direction will eventually have their positions equal. The time it takes for the motorcycle to catch up with the car can be found by writing expressions for the position of each as a function of time and solving for when they are equal. Alternatively, the graphs of their motion can be sketched and the time can be found by looking at the areas under the graphs.
lexi
1. Homework Statement ---------->
At a time = 0, a car has a constant velocity of 20 m/s east. At the same time a motorcycle starts from rest in the same direction with an accelerationof 2 m/s2. How long does it take the motorcycle to catch up with the car, and what distance have they traveled by that time?

2. Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution

Do you use the equation: x-x0 = v0t + 1/2at^2?

Please help! I really want to learn this so if you could show me the steps that would be great! How do you know what equation to use??

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
lexi said:
At a time = 0, a car has a constant velocity of 20 m/s east. At the same time a motorcycle starts from rest in the same direction with an accelerationof 2 m/s2. How long does it take the motorcycle to catch up with the car, and what distance have they traveled by that time?
I presume the car has a head start! If the motorcycle is at x=0 at t=0, where is the car at that time?

Write expressions for the position of each as a function of time. Then solve for the time when their positions are equal.

Doc Al said:
I presume the car has a head start! If the motorcycle is at x=0 at t=0, where is the car at that time?
Of course, the car doesn't have to have a head start. (My bad.) I guess that's what you meant. In which case, at t=0 both are at x=0.

Sketch the graphs of motion and then look at areas under graphs...no need for equations as such.

1. What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed is a measure of how fast an object is moving, while velocity is a measure of how fast an object is moving in a specific direction. In other words, velocity takes into account both the speed and direction of an object's motion.

2. How is acceleration different from velocity?

Acceleration is the rate at which an object's velocity is changing, while velocity is the rate at which an object's position is changing. In other words, acceleration measures how quickly an object's speed or direction is changing, while velocity measures how fast an object is moving in a specific direction.

3. What is the formula for calculating speed?

The formula for speed is distance divided by time. This can also be written as v=d/t, where v is speed, d is distance, and t is time. The units for speed are typically meters per second (m/s) or kilometers per hour (km/h).

4. How is average speed different from instantaneous speed?

Average speed is the total distance traveled divided by the total time taken, while instantaneous speed is the speed of an object at a specific moment in time. Average speed gives an overall picture of an object's motion, while instantaneous speed tells us how fast an object is moving at a particular point in time.

5. How does acceleration affect an object's motion?

Acceleration can either increase or decrease an object's velocity, depending on its direction. If an object is accelerating in the same direction as its velocity, it will speed up. If it is accelerating in the opposite direction, it will slow down. If the acceleration is constant, the object's velocity will change at a steady rate.