1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Speed/Velocity Question

1. Sep 20, 2007 #1
    Can someone please help:

Question: 2 cars are passing each other on opposite directions. One at 100 Km and the other at 150 Km. What is the passing speed?. I believe it is 0, however, I have been corrected that it is the combination of both, ie: 250 km.

Or was the above question incomplete?. Would rate of separation be the same as passing speed?.

If someone could explain to me and illustrate answer with formula, I would be very helpful. Thank you in advance.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2007 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

By passing speed I assume they mean the relative speed of one car with respect to the other. Just reason it out. If you were at rest and a car came towards you at 150 km/s, the relative speed would be 150 km/s. But if the other car were at rest and you were going towards it at a speed of 100 km/s, the relative speed would be 100 km/s. If you both move towards each other, add both speeds. Make some sense?

(And yes, it's the same as the rate of separation.)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?