1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Speed vs. Velocity question

1. Oct 11, 2011 #1
    I understand the basics of speed and velocity, but I got a rather backhanded question on a recent test that I believe was marked incorrectly.

Q: A baseball is thrown toward home plate. Is this a speed or a velocity?

I said it was a speed, the ball could have been thrown from anywhere toward home plate. When I asked why it was a velocity, the response was that although the direction is unknown, it still has a direction. But then by that logic, all speeds would be velocities because they have to be traveling in a direction, even if it is not given. Did my teacher screw me over? Where am I going wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2011 #2

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Without being too picky, speed is a size. Velocity is that size combined with a direction.

Look for the meanings of the words, "scalar", and "vector".

4. Oct 11, 2011 #3

Dale

Staff: Mentor

I would say it is neither. It is a direction. Speed is a magnitude, and velocity is a magnitude and a direction.

Toward home plate is a valid direction. It means from the baseballs current location draw a line to home plate and the velocity is parallel to that line.

5. Oct 11, 2011 #4

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's definitely a poorly-phrased question. "A baseball is thrown towards home plate. Is this a speed or a velocity?" Well, what does "this" refer to? Does it refer to the action of throwing a ball that was described in the previous sentence? If so, then "this" is neither a speed nor a velocity. It's a description of something that some person did. If you want to ask students to identify the type of a physical quantity, then you have to actually provide a physical quantity in your description. E.g. a ball is moving at 3.0 m/s towards home plate. Is this quantity mentioned above a speed or a velocity? Something like that would have been much better, in my opinion.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook