Speeding Car on Intersection

In summary, there are multiple potential causes for a car to speed on an intersection, including reckless, impaired, or distracted driving, as well as trying to beat a red light. Speeding on intersections can be extremely dangerous, often resulting in collisions and serious injuries or fatalities. There are laws in place to prevent speeding on intersections, with potential consequences such as fines, points on a license, and license suspension. To prevent speeding on intersections, measures such as traffic calming measures, stricter penalties, and education for drivers can be implemented. If you witness a car speeding on an intersection, it is important to stay calm and report the incident to the authorities with a detailed description of the vehicle and its license plate number.
dbzheir

Homework Statement

You are driving a car at the 25-mi/h speed limit when you observe the light at the intersection 70 m in front of you turn yellow. You know that at that particular intersection the light remains yellow for exactly 4.0 s before turning red. After you think for 1.0 s, you then accelerate the car at a constant rate. You somehow manage to pass your 4.3 m car completely through the 15.0 m wide intersection just as the light turns red, thus narrowly avoiding a ticket for running a red light. Immediately after passing through the intersection you take your foot off the accelerator, relieved. However, down the road you are pulled over for speeding. You assume you were ticketed for the speed of your car as it exited the intersection. Determine this speed and decide whether you should fight this ticket in court.

How fast were you going as you exited the intersection?

Homework Equations

Basic Kinematics Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Initial Velocity in m/s = 11.18

The distance to travel is 80.12, since the 4.3m car has to get through all the way, and you already covered 11.18 meters in the second you were thinking.
So the equation becomes
a=(80.12m/s-11.18m/s^2*3s)/(.5*9s)=10.3511 m/s^2
And then I used v^2=Vo^2 +2a(x-xo) and plugged in the number like so:
V = [tex]\sqrt{11.18^2 + 2*10.3511*80.12}[/tex] and got the answer 42.233, which is incorrect. Can anyone help me please? This is due kind of soon. =/

I realized my problem: I did not revert it back to mi/hr, so the correct answer is 91.414 mi/hr.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
However, I would still like a second opinion on my solution.

Your solution looks correct to me. You used the correct equations and correctly converted between units. Your final answer of 91.414 mi/hr also makes sense in the context of the problem, as it is significantly higher than the speed limit of 25 mi/hr.

One thing to note is that your initial velocity of 11.18 m/s may have some uncertainty, as it is given as the speed limit of 25 mi/hr, but we do not know the exact speed at which you were traveling before the light turned yellow. However, this uncertainty does not significantly affect your final answer.

In terms of fighting the ticket in court, it would ultimately be up to you and your personal judgement. However, based on your calculations, it seems that you were traveling at a significantly high speed and may have been speeding before entering the intersection. It's also possible that the officer pulled you over for a different reason, such as reckless driving. It may be worth considering the potential consequences and costs of fighting the ticket versus simply paying it.

I would first commend the driver for their quick thinking and ability to narrowly avoid running a red light. However, I would also advise them to not accelerate beyond the speed limit in the future as it could lead to dangerous situations and potential tickets.

Using the given information and basic kinematics equations, I calculated the speed of the car as it exited the intersection to be approximately 91.414 mi/hr. This is significantly higher than the 25 mi/hr speed limit and could explain why the driver was pulled over for speeding.

In this situation, it would not be advisable to fight the ticket in court as the evidence suggests that the driver was indeed speeding. It is important to adhere to speed limits for the safety of oneself and others on the road.

1. What causes a car to speed on an intersection?

There can be multiple reasons for a car to speed on an intersection. Some common reasons include reckless driving, impaired driving, distracted driving, and trying to beat a red light.

2. How dangerous is speeding on an intersection?

Speeding on an intersection can be extremely dangerous, as it increases the risk of collisions and can cause serious injuries or fatalities. It also puts other drivers, pedestrians, and cyclists at risk.

3. Are there any laws against speeding on an intersection?

Yes, there are laws in place to prevent speeding on intersections. In most places, the speed limit on intersections is lower than that of regular roads. Violating these laws can result in fines, points on your license, and even license suspension.

4. How can we prevent speeding on intersections?

There are several measures that can be taken to prevent speeding on intersections. These include implementing traffic calming measures such as speed bumps and red light cameras, enforcing stricter penalties for speeding violations, and educating drivers about the dangers of speeding.

5. What should I do if I witness a car speeding on an intersection?

If you witness a car speeding on an intersection, it is important to stay calm and avoid any confrontation. You can report the incident to the authorities by calling 911 or the non-emergency police number. It is also important to provide a detailed description of the vehicle and its license plate number, if possible.