Understanding Relative Motion: Observing Speeding Cars vs Stationary Cars

• Thread starter WanWon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Car
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of relative speed and how it can make one car appear to be moving backwards while the other is stationary, depending on the frame of reference. It also mentions that the relative speed between two objects is constant, regardless of the chosen frame of reference.
WanWon

Homework Statement

If i was driving a car with no speed and there was another car i would see beside it moving with a speed forward, wouldn't it seem like i was going backwards?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

the car with a speed is driving at x speed and mine is driving at 0 speed, right? So if x speed in the time "T" drives the car forward it seems as if i look outside my car that the other car is stationary but my car is moving.

Physics news on Phys.org
if you don't look at the tires, yes it would. And this is called the relative speed, everything depends on your frame of referance. if u want to make urself stable, the other car would be moving. If u want to make urself moving and everything else not moving, this will be the case

exactly the car seems to be driving backwards if we assume the surroundings are just air :zzz:

Last edited:
Well if you assume that the other car is stationary then you will have to be moving backward bacause the ralative speed between the two cars has to be constant.(Note changing the frame of reference doesn't shange the relative speed)

1. What is relative motion?

Relative motion refers to the movement of an object in relation to another object. It takes into account the observer's frame of reference and how the objects appear to be moving in relation to each other.

2. How is relative motion observed in speeding cars vs stationary cars?

Relative motion can be observed by comparing the movement of a speeding car to that of a stationary car. The speeding car will appear to be moving faster in relation to the stationary car, while the stationary car will appear to be at rest in relation to the speeding car.

3. What factors affect relative motion?

The perceived relative motion between two objects can be affected by the speed and direction of both objects, as well as the observer's frame of reference. Other factors such as distance and visual cues can also play a role in how relative motion is perceived.

4. How is relative motion used in scientific research?

Relative motion is a key concept in many fields of science, such as physics and astronomy. It helps scientists understand the relationship between objects in motion and how they interact with each other, and can be used to make predictions and calculations.

5. Can relative motion be observed in non-physical phenomena?

Yes, relative motion can also be observed in non-physical phenomena such as sound and light. For example, the Doppler effect is a result of relative motion between a sound source and an observer, causing a change in the frequency of the sound waves. In the case of light, the observed color of an object can be affected by its relative motion to the observer.