1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Speeding car

1. Jun 9, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If i was driving a car with no speed and there was another car i would see beside it moving with a speed forward, wouldnt it seem like i was going backwards?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

the car with a speed is driving at x speed and mine is driving at 0 speed, right? So if x speed in the time "T" drives the car forward it seems as if i look outside my car that the other car is stationary but my car is moving.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 9, 2007 #2
    if you don't look at the tires, yes it would. And this is called the relative speed, everything depends on your frame of referance. if u want to make urself stable, the other car would be moving. If u want to make urself moving and everything else not moving, this will be the case
  4. Jun 10, 2007 #3
    exactly the car seems to be driving backwards if we assume the surroundings are just air :zzz:
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2007
  5. Jun 11, 2007 #4
    Well if you assume that the other car is stationary then you will have to be moving backward bacause the ralative speed between the two cars has to be constant.(Note changing the frame of reference doesnt shange the relative speed)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?