Faster Light: Physics Impacts of New Discovery

• Thread starter HIGHLYTOXIC
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Light
In summary, the article discusses a recent discovery that light can go faster than the speed of light. This discovery has potential implications for our understanding of physics, but it is not yet confirmed.
HIGHLYTOXIC
Recently, I read that light has been made to go faster. What effects can this discovery have on our concepts of physics?

Science news on Phys.org
References?

The speed of light is about 186,300 miles per second. The speed of light does not change, relative to any observer.

Last edited:
I know what he means, I don't have sources though. Someone has did experiments where the light was received just a little before it was emitted, inicating that from the lab's reference frame, the light went faster than 299792458m/s and went like billionth of a second back in time. I thought this was all well known.

It is old news. It deals with a pulse's phase velocity, not its group velocity, and does not violate relativity in any way.

- Warren

Originally posted by Jonathan
I know what he means, I don't have sources though. Someone has did experiments where the light was received just a little before it was emitted, inicating that from the lab's reference frame, the light went faster than 299792458m/s and went like billionth of a second back in time. I thought this was all well known.

I would REALLY like to read more about this. :)
Anyone got any links or anything?

It's basically quantum mechanical tunelling, it's implications aren't as great as you might think as importantly it cannot lead to casuality violations and at no spefic time can you say that the light actually traveled faster than c.

Originally posted by chroot
It is old news. It deals with a pulse's phase velocity, not its group velocity, and does not violate relativity in any way.

- Warren

Guys...i would REALLY listen to Warren on this one. This is how it happened. The rest of you are just speculating.

Originally posted by chroot

- Warren
Ie, it has nothing at all to do with the velocity of individual photons.

Originally posted by neutroncount
Guys...i would REALLY listen to Warren on this one. This is how it happened. The rest of you are just speculating.

Ditto. I'm just annoyed that Chroot keeps beating me to the punch.

When this news came out two years ago, the media kept saying "light breaks the speed limit." BUt every physicist they quoted said things like, "well, not really." But the headlines are all some people read.

Originally posted by Chi Meson When this news came out two years ago, the media kept saying "light breaks the speed limit." BUt every physicist they quoted said things like, "well, not really." But the headlines are all some people read.

Hehe...because the media sucks at translating science into something the general public can understand without dumbing it down.

One thing more

Neutroncount stated :
When this news came out two years ago, the media kept saying "light breaks the speed limit." BUt every physicist they quoted said things like, "well, not really." But the headlines are all some people read.

Ok, the physicists said that there was nothing special. But what the reason behind their statement?

Jonathan :

so, it proves that time can be made to slow down! I have posted a topic titled " Light carries time " (theory development),in which I have stated that time does travel with light! Is'nt the above quote a proof for my article?

As to a proof, I disagree. Reread Chroot's post. Scientists publish their findings because that's what they do when they've done a neat trick. The report was snagged by a publicist because media attention wouldn't hurt. Sort of like when Dirak's last theorem was cracked: millions were agog yet maybe a dozen people in the world could follow the proof.

Yes they were manipulating quantum effects, but it was all according to their predictions, and none of the predicitons included manipulating time. Something about it does not allow faster than light information. It will not work with individual photons. I read through some of the material and I don't understand most of it, but in the end it was simply not that fantastic and certainly does not indicate that time slowed down.

Originally posted by HIGHLYTOXIC
Neutroncount stated :

Ok, the physicists said that there was nothing special. But what the reason behind their statement?

Jonathan :

so, it proves that time can be made to slow down! I have posted a topic titled " Light carries time " (theory development),in which I have stated that time does travel with light! Is'nt the above quote a proof for my article?

Jonathan didn't know. He was just commenting on maybe he THOUGHT that that's what he heard.

Here is the link you want to read. Read it carefully and don't assume you know what you're talking about.

http://plus.maths.org/issue12/news/fasterThanLight/

1. What is faster than the speed of light?

According to the laws of physics, nothing can travel faster than the speed of light, which is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second in a vacuum. However, recent research has suggested the possibility of particles called tachyons that could theoretically travel faster than light, but they have not yet been observed or proven to exist.

2. How does this discovery impact our understanding of physics?

The discovery of something that travels faster than the speed of light would challenge one of the fundamental principles of physics, which is the theory of relativity. It would require a complete rethinking of our current understanding of the universe and could potentially lead to new breakthroughs in physics and technology.

3. Can we use this discovery to travel through time?

Although the concept of faster-than-light travel is often associated with time travel, it is important to note that even if it were possible, it would not necessarily mean we could travel through time. Time is a complex concept and is affected by many factors, and the discovery of faster-than-light particles would not automatically grant us the ability to travel through time.

4. How did scientists make this discovery?

The discovery of faster-than-light particles is still a hypothetical concept and has not been definitively proven. However, scientists use a variety of methods and technologies such as particle accelerators, telescopes, and mathematical equations to study and make predictions about the behavior of particles in the universe.

5. What are the potential applications of this discovery?

If proven to be true, the discovery of faster-than-light particles could have significant implications for space travel, communication technology, and our understanding of the universe. It could also open up new avenues for scientific research and lead to advancements in various fields such as astrophysics, quantum mechanics, and engineering.