How Do You Calculate the Second Speed of a Roller Coaster at the Loop's Top?

In summary, the radius of curvature of a loop-the-loop for a roller coaster is 14.0 m. At the top of the loop, the force that the seat exerts on a passenger of mass m is 0.35mg. To find the speed of the roller coaster at the top of the loop, we use the equation ∑Fr = mar and the fact that Fsp and mg are in the same direction at the top of the loop. Solving for velocity, we get v_top = √(gR1.35) ≈ 13.62 m/s. However, for the second answer, we need to use the equation Fsp - mg = mv2/R and assume that Fsp =
_h2tm

Homework Statement

The radius of curvature of a loop-the-loop for a roller coaster is 14.0 m. At the top of the loop, the force that the seat exerts on a passenger of mass m is 0.35mg. Find the speed of the roller coaster at the top of the loop. (Enter your answers from smallest to largest.)

(This question has two answers, one of which, I found = the speed at the top of the loop. I'm guessing the 2nd answer is the speed at the bottom of the loop?)

Homework Equations

∑Fr = mar
Fsp + mg = m(v2/R)

a = v2/R

The Attempt at a Solution

Fsp = m[(v2/R) - g]
.35mg = m[(v2/R) - g]
.35g = (v2/R) - g
1.25g = v2/R
v_top = √(gR1.35) ≈ 13.62 m/s

Now to find the 2nd answer, I think I need to calculate a (since I believe this is constant):

a = v2/R ≈ 13.25 m/s2

But this can't be correct I'll just get the same answer for velocity.

Does anyone know how I am supposed to find the 2nd answer?

Physics news on Phys.org
1. Acceleration is not constant.
2. At the top , Fsp and mg are in the same direction. Not so at the bottom.
3. Try conservation of energy approach.

We haven't covered conservation of energy yet (we've just finished Newton's laws, friction, uniform circular motion, drag forces, and an intro to work and dot-products).

I sum the forces at the bottom of the roller coaster:

ƩF = Fsp - mg = mv2/R

∴ Fsp = m[(v2/R) + g]

I don't know the mass or the velocity though and I don't have enough information to get another equation to solve for either, do I?

It seems that you assumed what the question was for the 2nd answer. Have you written down the problem statement correctly?

Yes. I copied & pasted the problem:

The radius of curvature of a loop-the-loop for a roller coaster is 14.0 m. At the top of the loop, the force that the seat exerts on a passenger of mass m is 0.35mg. Find the speed of the roller coaster at the top of the loop. (Enter your answers from smallest to largest.)

The "largest" value is the one I found above (≈13.62 m/s).

How do you know it is the largest?

When I entered the answer (we use WebAssign for our homework), it showed as correct in the space that said "largest value" :).

After getting more information from my teacher, here is the solution for the "smallest" value, i.e. the speed at the bottom of the roller coaster:

Assume Fsp = .35mg at the bottom of the roller coaster as well the top.

Fsp - mg = mv2/R
.35g - g = v2/R
√|R(.35g - g)| = v

The question is worded very poorly. Thank you much for all of your assistance, PhanthomJay.

Well, that gives the sq rt of a negative number, so I don't think the question asks anything about speed at the bottom. Now last time I rode the loop the loop coaster, I was upside down at the top, the car below the rails. On a 'regular' roller coaster, you are right side up at the top, the car above the rails. In the first case, the normal force and weight both act down. In the second case, the weight acts down but the normal force acts up. You might want to try (g - .35g)R = v^2, and see if webassign gives you a gold star. But something is not right.

What I wrote above included | & | to indicate taking the absolute value and gave the correct result (at least the answer that the website was looking for).

I'm not seeing how I can manipulate the sum of the forces so it would be R(g - .35g).

1. How fast does a roller coaster go?

The speed of a roller coaster can vary greatly depending on the type, design, and location of the ride. On average, a traditional roller coaster can reach speeds of 50-60 miles per hour, while newer and more advanced rides can reach speeds of over 100 miles per hour.

2. What is the top speed of the fastest roller coaster?

The current record for the fastest roller coaster is held by Formula Rossa at Ferrari World in Abu Dhabi, which reaches a top speed of 149.1 miles per hour.

3. How is the speed of a roller coaster controlled?

The speed of a roller coaster is controlled by a combination of gravity, potential and kinetic energy, and the design of the track. The initial drop of the ride provides the majority of the speed, while brakes and other mechanisms are used to slow down the train at various points throughout the ride.

4. Are there safety measures in place to control the speed of a roller coaster?

Yes, roller coasters undergo rigorous testing and inspection to ensure they are safe for riders. In addition, there are various safety features built into the design of the ride, such as block brakes and sensors, to monitor and control the speed of the train.

5. Can the speed of a roller coaster be changed or adjusted?

Yes, the speed of a roller coaster can be adjusted by the ride operators or engineers. However, this is usually done during the design and testing phase, and once a ride is open to the public, the speed is generally kept consistent for safety reasons.