Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spelling and grammar errors

1. Oct 5, 2007 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Do you misspell words or make other errors when you know better? For example, I constantly find myself going back and changing too, to to, or two, etc. Twice now I caught myself wanting to spell delusional with a dill.. :rolleyes: I have no idea where that one comes from.

I have also noticed words that are constantly misspelled by other members. There is one that I've seen a lot but can't think of it now. I know it is often spelled with an e instead of an i.

It seems that in my case, while typing, I tend to spell as I hear the word, and then have to go back and check in "spelling mode". Also, I seem to be leaving out words more often these days - the, an, is, a, etc.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2007 #2

wolram

Gold Member

I have all ways thought that as long as one can communicte spelling does not matter, but that is only because i have no idea of how to spell.

4. Oct 5, 2007 #3

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The word definitely (and hence finite and infinite) is often misspelled as definately.

I suppose the spelling error in the title is on purpose?

5. Oct 5, 2007 #4

Evo

Staff: Mentor

We're getting old Ivan, I've noticed lately that I have started spelling phonectically or typing their when I know I want there.

6. Oct 5, 2007 #5
    Definately. I think they are amatures. :tongue2:

Of late, though, I have noticed that I tend to interchange a pair letters within words, but thankfully Firefox indicates to me that I have done so.

7. Oct 5, 2007 #6

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think everyone is guaranteed to make at least one spelling or grammar error if they post in a thread on spelling and grammar errors. :biggrin:

Sometimes my fingers type words my brain isn't thinking (my spelling is nearly perfect if I'm handwriting, though you'd be hard-pressed to verify it if you saw my chicken scratch, but as soon as I start typing, my fingers seem to add and subtract letters at will).

I have noticed that people who are chronically bad spellers do spell with an "accent." They're clearly trying to spell phonetically, and whatever regional dialect, or just plain bad pronunciation, they have shows up in their choice of spelling.

8. Oct 5, 2007 #7

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I had to go back and correct the word "mispell". :blushing:

9. Oct 5, 2007 #8

wolram

Gold Member

May be as you get older your spelling gets worse, but i have noticed that my spelling gets better, may be some have negative learning, or use spell checker.

10. Oct 5, 2007 #9

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Might want to correct "grammar" in the thread title too...but I'm not sure if you meant to do that on purpose as a joke. :biggrin:

11. Oct 5, 2007 #10

Evo

I think that was a joke. :biggrin:

12. Oct 5, 2007 #11

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

<puts forefinger and thumb against Ivan's upper neoronal dome to access the deepest recesses of his sub-psi-star-psi consciousness>

[deep, booming voice] The word you are thinking of is 'ridiculous'.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2007
  13. Oct 5, 2007 #12

Evo

Oooh, good guess!

14. Oct 5, 2007 #13
    I cannot spell miniute, minuite , minitu,......doohh 60 seconds.

15. Oct 5, 2007 #14
    My spelling has always been poor and I've resorted to keeping spell check on constantly everywhere I post or write.

16. Oct 5, 2007 #15

Art

There's at least one member (a regular poster) who shall remain nameless to avoid embarrassment who always spells ridiculous as rediculous leaving himself open to redicule perhaps :wink: maybe that's what you are thinking of?

Ooops just read Gokul's post and he already had it.

17. Oct 5, 2007 #16
    Yes I do! I make little grammar mistakes--chocolate chip cookie's instead of cookies.

I think somewhere along the line, someone drilled it into my head not to write the wrong "its"/"it's" and "they're"/"their"/"there" and "your"/"youre". Most mistakes don't bother me but misuse one of those words...

18. Oct 5, 2007 #17
    I don't use spell check. There are times when I am reading here that I need to know the meaning of a word so I keep the dictionary open. Usually, if I believe I have misspelled a word I will look it up in the dictionary, since its there. Somehow more errors creep in than I notice. I end up hitting post reply and then rereading what I wrote and the spelling errors come out from their hiding places and start rediculing me. I've discovered that if I can edit my post very quickly, before someone looks at it perhaps, I can save it and there won't be an edit tag attached to the post.

My pet peeves are the words lose and loose. I have a hard time understanding how people can get their spellings confused. Then there are other times where I have a kind of spelling vertigo where every word looks strangely spelled to me, almost as if it is in another language.

edit :smile:
    edit2 :mad:

19. Oct 6, 2007 #18

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I was referring to errors made by grandmothers.

20. Oct 6, 2007 #19
    You may have been bitten by a Slavic person recently, for you seem to be turning into one. To know for sure, supply a sample of your writting during the next full moon to your local granit (GRAmmar NITpick).

(My native language is Serbian: 15% less words/text than English, no articles, short helper verbs frequently fused, thoroughly phonemic spelling; about the same for Russian...)

--
    Chusslove Illich (Часлав Илић)

21. Oct 6, 2007 #20

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

James Randi owes you one-million dollars!

Tell him that I ok'd it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?