Spelling Protesters

• Thread starter Pattonias
  • Start date
In summary: If they got their way, "you" would become "yoo," "believe" would become "beleeve" and "said" would become "sed."The cost of clinging to traditional spellings, they say, is millions of illiterate English speakers who struggle to read signs or get good jobs, and billions of dollars in lost productivity.How much would spelling change from one accent to another?to make things as simple as possible, i propose that each word have it's own character.If they are too dumb to spell, I don't think dumbing down the language will make them a candidate for a good job.They're saying it's
Pattonias
There are protesters for everything now-a-days.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/06/04/AR2010060403296.html" [Broken]

A tiny group of activists for phonetic spelling gathered again Friday outside the Scripps National Spelling Bee at the downtown Grand Hyatt.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I saw that, rihdickyoulus!

Sure, let's not try to make people learn, let's just dumb everything down. While we're at it, I say no numbers higher than ten or lower than 0 'cause I've only got ten fingers and I wear shoes.

I think this is ridikyoolus.

yeah lol

If they got their way, "you" would become "yoo," "believe" would become "beleeve" and "said" would become "sed."

The cost of clinging to traditional spellings, they say, is millions of illiterate English speakers who struggle to read signs or get good jobs, and billions of dollars in lost productivity.

How much would spelling change from one accent to another?

to make things as simple as possible, i propose that each word have it's own character.

If they are too dumb to spell, I don't think dumbing down the language will make them a candidate for a good job.

They're saying it's too difficult to learn to spell English words? Then why would they protest outside of a building that's full of elementary school kids who have mastered it?
They must all be parents of kids who couldn't cut it in the spelling bee.

Ai em from abroth.
Hau dus det impect my spelling?

Proton Soup said:
to make things as simple as possible, i propose that each word have it's own character.
Kind of like Chinese? now, that's an easy language. :bugeye:

What's wrong with making communication as simple as possible? Think organic chemistry.

Evo said:
I saw that, rihdickyoulus!

Sure, let's not try to make people learn, let's just dumb everything down. While we're at it, I say no numbers higher than ten or lower than 0 'cause I've only got ten fingers and I wear shoes.

Heh! It's summer! Take your shoes off!

Evo said:
Kind of like Chinese? now, that's an easy language. :bugeye:

exactly like chinese, yes. :wink:

as for problem speelers, sometimes it's a reflection of the laziness of the student. other times, i think it may show a lack of some brain hardware. I've got a neighbor who can't read at all, and another guy who was salutatorian at my high school was a terrible speller, but now teaches college math, so...

Pattonias said:
There are protesters for everything now-a-days.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/06/04/AR2010060403296.html" [Broken]

We call them attention whores.

Wouldn't that be attention hores? Or however else it should be spelled :rolleyes:

I don't think that spelling is an important skill. As for phonetic spelling, I have posted this several times already. It is not for sure that Twain actually wrote it, but it is usually ascribed to him.

A Plan for the Improvement of English Spelling
by Mark Twain

For example, in Year 1 that useless letter "c" would be dropped to be replased either by "k" or "s", and likewise "x" would no longer be part of the alphabet. The only kase in which "c" would be retained would be the "ch" formation, which will be dealt with later. Year 2 might reform "w" spelling, so that "which" and "one" would take the same konsonant, wile Year 3 might well abolish "y" replasing it with "i" and Iear 4 might fiks the "g/j" anomali wonse and for all.

Jenerally, then, the improvement would kontinue iear bai iear with Iear 5 doing awai with useless double konsonants, and Iears 6-12 or so modifaiing vowlz and the rimeining voist and unvoist konsonants. Bai Iear 15 or sou, it wud fainali bi posibl tu meik ius ov thi ridandant letez "c", "y" and "x" -- bai now jast a memori in the maindz ov ould doderez -- tu riplais "ch", "sh", and "th" rispektivli.

Fainali, xen, aafte sam 20 iers ov orxogrefkl riform, wi wud hev a lojikl, kohirnt speling in ius xrewawt xe Ingliy-spiking werld.

If they are going for phonetics, why not just have text speak? I mean why spell won/one whatever when you can put 1.

then u cn talk lk this & no1 cud say itz rong

xxChrisxx said:
If they are going for phonetics, why not just have text speak? I mean why spell won/one whatever when you can put 1.

then u cn talk lk this & no1 cud say itz rong

I would move to China or India. If we made that change to our vocabulary, no one could argue that the United States was no longer the world's most powerful country. We would be living in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idiocracy" [Broken].

My only 2 main irrational peeves with US words are.

Airplane. It's aeroplane. And aluminium. I know both spellings are accepted equally now)

I'm fine with you lot using z where s should be used, or omitting the u from colour and armour etc. But the above 2 really wind me up for some reason.

Oh and whilst I'm at it it's a pain in the bloody arse that you all still use ******* imperial units for engineering work, makes my job so much harder.[/rant] I know it's off topic, but meh.

EDIT: I'm very sorry about this, I seem to be venting a lot today.

xxChrisxx said:

Airplane. It's aeroplane. And aluminium. I know both spellings are accepted equally now)

I'm fine with you lot using z where s should be used, or omitting the u from colour and armour etc. But the above 2 really wind me up for some reason.

Oh and whilst I'm at it it's a pain in the bloody arse that you all still use ******* imperial units for engineering work, makes my job so much harder.

[/rant] I know it's off topic, but meh.

I find it slightly amusing that you rail at the US for changing the spelling of words, and for not changing the units of measurements.

Also

"I think right now the young people are sending us a text message," said protester Roberta Mahoney, a former Fairfax County school principal who was dressed in a yellow-and-black-striped bumble bee costume. "They're saying enough of this foolishness."

Really dude? You have an opportunity to say anything through the national media and that's what you choose? Way to discredit your cause

Office_Shredder said:
I find it slightly amusing that you rail at the US for changing the spelling of words, and for not changing the units of measurements.

I don't mind you changing words I acutally have no problem with any of it. Airplane and aluminum just grate on my nerves for some reason. It's totally irrational I know and I don't know why they do.

Pattonias said:
I would move to China or India. If we made that change to our vocabulary, no one could argue that the United States was no longer the world's most powerful country. We would be living in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idiocracy" [Broken].

You'll regret the "1s" soon enough after living in Communist regime. Appreciate what you have, idiocracy or not :P

xxChrisxx said:

Oh and whilst I'm at it it's a pain in the bloody arse that you all still use ******* imperial units for engineering work, makes my job so much harder.

Well I do agree with you on the units :smile:.

xxChrisxx said:

I disagree with your idea that we should use aluminium over aluminum. First, aluminum is easier to say than the awkward-sounding aluminium. Second, it's easier to write. Third, it's older, and fourth, we're the world's superpower, so what we say goes (commonly known as the "Bullying Argument").

Four reasons, and the first three are even logical!

Char. Limit said:
I disagree with your idea that we should use aluminium over aluminum. First, aluminum is easier to say than the awkward-sounding aluminium. Second, it's easier to write. Third, it's older, and fourth, we're the world's superpower, so what we say goes (commonly known as the "Bullying Argument").

Four reasons, and the first three are even logical!

IUPAC has adopted aluminium as the official name for the element.
The suffix for many other metals are almost universally -ium. It's not lithum, beryllum. Sodum is it? Why is this different? I think the only others are molybdenum and platinum.

It's easier to say? An extra syllable can't be that perplexing :P

xxChrisxx said:
IUPAC has adopted aluminium as the official name for the element.
The suffix for many other metals are almost universally -ium. It's not lithum, beryllum. Sodum is it? Why is this different?

It's easier to say? An extra syllable can't be that perplexing :P

Because aluminum is cool and wanted to be different. He gets to keep beer cold too.

Pattonias said:
Because aluminum is cool and wanted to be different. He gets to keep beer cold too.

Agrument... ACCEPTED! A trendy element that breaks from convention.:approve:

I'm goign to have to be mega sad now and google the periodic table to see what ether elements break the convention.

-ize is the original spelling for verbs borrowed from Greek (-ise appears in a few words that are NOT from Greek). British spelling was later changed to -ise, possibly because the Brits couldn't keep their etymology straight and wanted to appear more French.

Ben Niehoff said:
Brits couldn't keep their etymology straight and wanted to appear more French.

Probably becuse we were invaded by them. It's why English is such a horrid mess of languages, we were constantly invaded.

xxChrisxx said:
It's not lithum, beryllum.
How about platinum, molybdenum, lanthanum, and tantalum? You want to rename those also? How about renaming bismuth, cobalt, copper, iron, manganese, nickel, silver, tin, tungsten?

Aluminum is the older of aluminium and aluminum (but lumium predates both).

D H said:
How about platinum, molybdenum, lanthanum, and tantalum? You want to rename those also? How about renaming bismuth, cobalt, copper, iron, manganese, nickel, silver, tin, tungsten?

Aluminum is the older of aluminium and aluminum (but lumium predates both).

Kind of killed the jovial overtones there DH.

In reality I couldn't care less.

Do these people use signs with correct spelling or...?

xxChrisxx said:
Kind of killed the jovial overtones there DH.

In reality I couldn't care less.

internet-serious-business-cat.jpg

Remember... of all of the intellectual arguments in the world, one of the most important and possibly one of the most incendiary (but that's not saying much) is the aluminum/aluminium debate. It's serious business...

(Or I may just be messing with you. But I wouldn't do that... and aluminium really doesn't roll off my tongue like aluminum does. Plus, the PF spell checker is calling "aluminium" wrong... and PF is the highest authority.

Noxide said:
What's wrong with making communication as simple as possible? Think organic chemistry.

There are pros and cons to everything, but now that I've struggled my whole life to try and learn all the crazy English rules for grammar and spelling, it's not fair that anyone else should get off easy while I have to then work even harder to unlearn what I already learned. :cry:

If only we could start over from scratch an devise a logical language system, but that's not how language typically works.

I'm probably going to screw this story up badly because I know almost nothing of Korean history. Maybe there are some Koreans here that can correct me. But, years ago a Korean friend of mine told me that centuries ago a King reinvented the Korean alphabet and made it simple and logical. Many scholars objected and were executed for that, and the result is that today, Korean is one of the easier Asian systems to learn. This seems like a relevant story to the topic. Hopefully a Korean expert can tell a more accurate version for our edification.

Last edited:
Char. Limit said:
Plus, the PF spell checker is calling "aluminium" wrong... and PF is the highest authority.

PF has a spell checker? You sure it's not just your American spellchecker on firefox?

And finally, to end this debate once and for all, I ask you what is the name of the language you're speaking, or the name of the class where you learned (yes, that's a word) said language in school? That's why what we say goes! :tongue2:

<h2>1. What are "Spelling Protesters"?</h2><p>"Spelling Protesters" are individuals or groups who advocate for changes in spelling rules or conventions in a particular language.</p><h2>2. What are some common reasons for spelling protests?</h2><p>Some common reasons for spelling protests include simplifying complex spelling rules, making spelling more consistent and logical, and reflecting changes in pronunciation or language usage.</p><h2>3. How do spelling protests impact language and communication?</h2><p>Spelling protests can lead to changes in spelling rules and conventions, which can affect the way words are written and understood. This can impact language and communication by making it easier or more difficult for individuals to learn and use a particular language.</p><h2>4. Are spelling protests successful in bringing about change?</h2><p>It depends on the specific protest and the response of language authorities. Some spelling protests have been successful in bringing about changes in spelling conventions, while others have not been as effective.</p><h2>5. How can I get involved in spelling protests?</h2><p>If you are interested in participating in spelling protests, you can join a group or organization that advocates for spelling reform, or start your own protest by writing to language authorities or raising awareness about the issue through social media or other platforms.</p>

1. What are "Spelling Protesters"?

"Spelling Protesters" are individuals or groups who advocate for changes in spelling rules or conventions in a particular language.

2. What are some common reasons for spelling protests?

Some common reasons for spelling protests include simplifying complex spelling rules, making spelling more consistent and logical, and reflecting changes in pronunciation or language usage.

3. How do spelling protests impact language and communication?

Spelling protests can lead to changes in spelling rules and conventions, which can affect the way words are written and understood. This can impact language and communication by making it easier or more difficult for individuals to learn and use a particular language.

4. Are spelling protests successful in bringing about change?

It depends on the specific protest and the response of language authorities. Some spelling protests have been successful in bringing about changes in spelling conventions, while others have not been as effective.

5. How can I get involved in spelling protests?

If you are interested in participating in spelling protests, you can join a group or organization that advocates for spelling reform, or start your own protest by writing to language authorities or raising awareness about the issue through social media or other platforms.