Spent Fuel Pool: Sanity Check

• Thread starter atomicpedals
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fuel
In summary, the conversation is about determining the amount of water needed to shield against radiation in a spent fuel pool. The approach is to focus on the highest energy nuclides and ignore alpha radiation, while calculating the amount of water needed to shield for betas and accompanying Bremsstrahlung, as well as the required depth of water to shield for gammas. The possibility of ignoring beta shielding and just focusing on gammas is also discussed.
atomicpedals
I've done the leg work and have a method to go about a solution for this problem. I just need to get a second opinion before I crunch the numbers on the way I plan to go about this.

1. Homework Statement :

Determine the amount of water that needs to be over a spent fuel pool to provide enough shielding to reduce exposure to 5mGy/hr. Treat the fuel as a point source and I have a table of all the appropriate fission products and actinides.

2. Homework Equations :

Radiation Yield (to be applied to beta particles and associated Bremsstrahlung...which might be overkill as the accompanying gammas probably over shadow the betas)

Exposure rate x=(0.5CE)/d^2

3. The Attempt at a Solution :

Ok, what I want a sanity check on is this... my plan is to focus on the highest energy nuclides, then to ignore alpha radiation as it will be shielded by virtue of shielding for betas. Calculate the amount of water needed to shield for betas as well as the accompanying Bremsstrahlung. And then, perhaps most importantly, calculated the required depth of water to shield for gammas (which will probably be greater than that required for beta w/brem). I can safely ignore neutrons as any left would be very low energy and get lost in the gamma shielding (neutrons should be mostly used up by the time fuel becomes spent fuel).

Does that seem like a reasonable approach? Could I even ignore the beta shielding and just focus on the gammas? Have I lost all reason?

Physics news on Phys.org
atomicpedals said:
I've done the leg work and have a method to go about a solution for this problem. I just need to get a second opinion before I crunch the numbers on the way I plan to go about this.

1. Homework Statement :

Determine the amount of water that needs to be over a spent fuel pool to provide enough shielding to reduce exposure to 5mGy/hr. Treat the fuel as a point source and I have a table of all the appropriate fission products and actinides.

2. Homework Equations :

Radiation Yield (to be applied to beta particles and associated Bremsstrahlung...which might be overkill as the accompanying gammas probably over shadow the betas)

Exposure rate x=(0.5CE)/d^2

3. The Attempt at a Solution :

Ok, what I want a sanity check on is this... my plan is to focus on the highest energy nuclides, then to ignore alpha radiation as it will be shielded by virtue of shielding for betas. Calculate the amount of water needed to shield for betas as well as the accompanying Bremsstrahlung. And then, perhaps most importantly, calculated the required depth of water to shield for gammas (which will probably be greater than that required for beta w/brem). I can safely ignore neutrons as any left would be very low energy and get lost in the gamma shielding (neutrons should be mostly used up by the time fuel becomes spent fuel).

Does that seem like a reasonable approach? Could I even ignore the beta shielding and just focus on the gammas? Have I lost all reason?

Are you talking about water containment of the entire site...? Please forgive my ignorance as physics is not my field of study. But if you could submerge the entire site in a short space of time...

1. What is a spent fuel pool?

A spent fuel pool is a storage pool or basin used to store spent nuclear fuel after it has been removed from a nuclear reactor. It is typically located inside a nuclear power plant and is filled with water to cool and shield the spent fuel rods.

2. How does a spent fuel pool affect public safety?

A spent fuel pool does not pose a direct threat to public safety. The water in the pool provides a barrier that shields the radiation from the spent fuel. Additionally, the pool is designed to withstand natural disasters and accidents, ensuring the safety of the surrounding community.

3. How long can spent fuel remain in a spent fuel pool?

The length of time that spent fuel can remain in a spent fuel pool depends on the design of the pool and the regulations of the country where the nuclear power plant is located. In most cases, spent fuel can be stored in a pool for several years before being transferred to a dry cask storage or reprocessing facility.

4. Are there any concerns about the integrity of spent fuel pools?

There have been concerns about the integrity of spent fuel pools in the past, primarily after the Fukushima nuclear disaster in 2011. However, most nuclear power plants have safety measures in place to prevent and mitigate any potential damage to the spent fuel pool, and regular inspections are conducted to ensure the integrity of the pool.

5. What happens to spent fuel once it is removed from the pool?

Once spent fuel is removed from the pool, it is typically transferred to a dry cask storage facility. In some cases, the fuel may also be reprocessed to extract any remaining usable nuclear material. The ultimate goal is to safely and securely store the spent fuel for the long term, until it is no longer radioactive.