1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sphere and radius

1. Sep 2, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two spheres are cut from a certain uniform rock. One has a radius 4.50cm. The mass of the
    other is 5 times greater. Find its radius

2. Relevant equations
    r1 = 4.50cm
    r2 = ? when mass is 5x greater

3. The attempt at a solution
    Looking at this problem I first thought of somehow integrating the volume of a sphere
    which is 4/3[tex]\pi[/tex]r3. But then i though i was just thinking too hard. it made more sense for the radius to be 5x the radius as i figure the mass was proportional to the radius.

so: r2 = 5(4.50cm) = 22.5cm

however i got this marked wrong as the answer was 7.69 cm. what wasn't I looking at clearly?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 2, 2010 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

You started on the right track. Mass is proportional to volume, so the ratio 5 applies to the two radii how?

4. Sep 2, 2010 #3
    well that would be proportional to the mass right? so if r2 is 5x in mass then r1 is 1/5(mass)? set up my equation to isolate r to get the radius...

5. Sep 2, 2010 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Mass is proportional to volume. Write the fraction V1/V2 out fully, and that will show you a ratio involving some form of the radii. That's where the 5x comes into play...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook