Solving Sphere in Cone Problem w/Semivertical Angle

• Thread starter PhysicsInept
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cone Sphere
In summary, this problem asks for the radius of a sphere for which the maximum possible amount of water is displaced. The problem is complicated by the fact that one of the spheres could be partially submerged.
PhysicsInept
Help please - okay so I have a question and struggling here.

I need to know the radius of the sphere and how much water it displaces.
One sphere inside an inverted cone
One sphere for which the maximum possible amount of water is displaced.

The problem is I’m only given the height of the cone and the semivertical angle Any idea what formula to use? I found some but none account for semivertical angle.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Cut the cone half and get the triangle cross section. You observe in the triangle the relation
of height h, semivertical angle ##\phi## and radius a of the sphere.

Likes Lnewqban
PhysicsInept said:
Help please - okay so I have a question and struggling here.

I need to know the radius of the sphere and how much water it displaces.
One sphere inside an inverted cone
One sphere for which the maximum possible amount of water is displaced.

The problem is I’m only given the height of the cone and the semivertical angleAny idea what formula to use? I found some but none account for semivertical angle.

Thanks
anuttarasammyak said:
Cut the cone half and get the triangle cross section. You observe in the triangle the relation
of height h, semivertical angle ##\phi## and radius a of the sphere.

Thanks. So what do I do if I don’t know the radius?

For example, let’s say the height of the cone is 1.5m and the semi vertical angle is 55 degrees?

Why do not you draw the triangle rough sketch and put a, h and ##\phi## into it to find a general relation.

Last edited:
anuttarasammyak said:
Why do not you draw the triangle rough sketch and put a, h and ##\phi## into it to find a general relation.
But we don’t know if the sphere is fully submerged in the water (in the cone) or part of it rests above water. Therefore the radius of the sphere wouldn’t be determined based on the cone triangle calculation?

In the condition that the sphere submerges completely you may agree that the maximum size of a exists. You should get it first.

I moved the thread to our homework section.

Find the position and then the displacement as function of the radius, then find the radius where this displacement becomes maximal.

anuttarasammyak said:
In the condition that the sphere submerges completely you may agree that the maximum size of a exists. You should get it first.
Regardless of this condition a maximum will exist. For the general case, both possibilities must be considered. However, the fully submerged case is relatively simple.

PhysicsInept said:
But we don’t know if the sphere is fully submerged in the water (in the cone) or part of it rests above water. Therefore the radius of the sphere wouldn’t be determined based on the cone triangle calculation?
Can you post the entire text of the problem?

A infinite herd of perfectly spherical cows of every possible real-valued radius is passing by a perfectly conical lake in single file line. Each cow swims in the lake and displaces a certain amount of water once it comes to rest flush against the sides of the lake. Depending on the radius, the cow could be entirely submerged, or partially submerged.

There is a single cow for which the maximum possible amount of water is displaced. The question is, what radius does this cow have and how much water does this cow displace?
This conical lake is filled to the top with a depth of exactly 1.4914 meters from the vertex to the surface. The lake has a semivertical angle of exactly 61.692 degrees.NOTE: This is not homework for school. It is part of a puzzle for a hobby I’m in to.
Here is what I’ve done so far to at least hopefully determine the radius of the sphere (cow) but that would only be true if exactly half submerged?
I am NOT a physics person lol. It’s been 20 years since high school!

Attachments

• 5836F911-A289-4CC0-BB56-346642C85FE0.png
    5836F911-A289-4CC0-BB56-346642C85FE0.png
    12.9 KB · Views: 121
Likes Lnewqban
I made sketches for your help. By increasing radius of sphere
Fig1 From radius zero to maximum radius of fully submerge condition
Fig2 Between Fig 1 and Fig 3
Fig3 From the sphere begins to touch at the base circle of the cone to radius infinity

Getting radius of two solid line spheres would help you.

Attachments

• Fig1.JPG
    Fig1.JPG
    11.2 KB · Views: 115
  • Fig2.JPG
    Fig2.JPG
    11.7 KB · Views: 109
  • Fig3.JPG
    Fig3.JPG
    12.9 KB · Views: 118
Likes Lnewqban

1. What is the "Solving Sphere in Cone Problem w/Semivertical Angle"?

The "Solving Sphere in Cone Problem w/Semivertical Angle" is a mathematical problem that involves finding the volume and surface area of a sphere that is inscribed within a cone with a given semivertical angle.

2. Why is this problem important?

This problem is important because it has real-world applications in fields such as engineering, architecture, and physics. It also helps develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

3. What are the steps to solve this problem?

The steps to solve this problem include:
1. Determine the radius of the base of the cone and the radius of the inscribed sphere.
2. Use the given semivertical angle to find the height of the cone.
3. Use the Pythagorean theorem to find the slant height of the cone.
4. Use the formulas for volume and surface area of a cone to find the volume and surface area of the cone.
5. Use the formula for the volume of a sphere to find the volume of the inscribed sphere.
6. Use the formula for the surface area of a sphere to find the surface area of the inscribed sphere.

4. What are some common challenges when solving this problem?

Some common challenges when solving this problem include:
- Understanding the concept of a semivertical angle and its relationship to a cone
- Remembering the formulas for volume and surface area of a cone and sphere
- Making sure to use the correct units for measurements
- Keeping track of the calculations and properly rounding the final answer

5. Are there any real-life examples of this problem?

Yes, there are many real-life examples of this problem. For instance, architects may use this concept when designing a dome structure or a circular building. Engineers may use it when designing a water tank or a silo. Physicists may use it when studying the behavior of objects rolling down a curved surface. The problem also has applications in astronomy, as it can be used to calculate the volume and surface area of celestial bodies such as planets or comets.