Sphere in a spherical shell

In summary: When the net charge is zero, the electric field is uniform all around. But if the net charge is nonzero, then there will be a force that tries to push the charges away from each other. This force is called the electric field, and it is what makes an electric field create a magnetic field.
semc
Suppose a solid insulating sphere of radius a carries a net positive charge uniformly distributed throughout its volume. A conducting spherical shell of inner radius b and outer radius c is concentric with the solid sphere. Determine the induced charge per unit area on the outer surface of the conducting shell.

I think the inner surface of the conducting shell has an induced charge of -Q but how do we know the charge on the outer surface since the net charge is not given?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You are absolutely correct. The net charge on the outer surface must be given otherwise the problem is ambiguous. The best you can do is to assume that the net charge is zero. This is an educated guess, because if the net charge were not zero, the problem would have specified its value.

semc said:
I think the inner surface of the conducting shell has an induced charge of -Q

Sounds right to me so far... :approve:

but how do we know the charge on the outer surface since the net charge is not given?

I'm guessing you are supposed to express your answer in terms of Q. 'Kind of like you did above.

Guass' law will give you the answer to this problem (Gauss' law by the way, is how I assume you came up with the induced charge on the inner surface of the conducting shell -- Gauss' law is what predicts that, starting with the fact that the electrostatic field within a conductor is zero).

[Edit: Hello Kuruman! Looks like you beat me to the punch. :smile: But realize this problem can be solved even if the conducting shell has its own net charge, because the problem is not asking for total charge per unit area (on the outer surface); but rather just induced charge per unit area, which ends up being independent of any net charge on conducting shell itself. ]

Last edited:
collinsmark said:
... But realize this problem can be solved even if the conducting shell has its own net charge, because the problem is not asking for total charge per unit area (on the outer surface); but rather just induced charge per unit area, which ends up being independent of any net charge on conducting shell itself. ]
Point well taken. I read the problem rather hastily, the price of beating you to the punch, collinsmark. :wink:

Yes I got the -Q on the inner surface using Gauss's law. So are we considering the whole sphere with the shell as a point charge when taking r>c? So the charge in this gaussian surface is Q? So that makes the induced charge on the outer layer +Q?

Last edited:
semc said:
Yes I got the -Q on the inner surface using Gauss's law. So are we considering the whole sphere with the shell as a point charge when taking r>c?

As long as spherically symmetric, charge distribution is maintained (as it is in this problem), then yes. Right! :approve:

So the charge in this gaussian surface is Q? So that makes the induced charge on the outer layer +Q?

Yes! the induced charge (i.e. charge that was induced merely because there is charge on the inner solid sphere) is +Q. Make sure to phrase your answer in induced charge per unit area as your final answer though.

Got it now thanks guys

semc said:
Sorry hope you don't mind if I digress a bit I have another question on inductor in circuit. Is the current passing through the inductor solely the backward current? Does it mean that after a long time no current passes through the inductor suppose a battery is connected throughout the whole time?

Normally you should start a new thread if you have a new, unrelated question.

But if I may give it a shot anyway, I'm pretty sure the answer is no (I could be more specific if you showed a circuit diagram, but perhaps you should do that with a new thread). DC current passes (flows) through an inductor quite easily, as though the inductor was just a wire. But inductors impede quickly changing currents (flowing through them), by changing the voltage across the inductor's terminals, [itex] v = Ldi/dt [/itex]. Capacitors are sort of the opposite. Capacitors are governed by [itex] i = Cdv/dt [/itex].

The most obvious thing that comes to mind is that the outer shell becomes polarized.

1. What is a sphere in a spherical shell?

A sphere in a spherical shell refers to a solid sphere that is enclosed within a larger, hollow sphere. This can also be thought of as a sphere within a sphere.

2. What is the difference between a sphere in a spherical shell and a solid sphere?

A solid sphere is a three-dimensional object with no empty space inside, while a sphere in a spherical shell has a hollow interior. Additionally, a sphere in a spherical shell has a larger radius than the solid sphere it is enclosed in.

3. What are some real-life examples of a sphere in a spherical shell?

One common example is the Earth's core, which is a solid sphere surrounded by a liquid outer core and a solid inner core. Another example is a tennis ball inside a larger ball, such as a clear plastic ball used for vending machine toys.

4. How is the volume of a sphere in a spherical shell calculated?

The volume of a sphere in a spherical shell can be calculated by subtracting the volume of the solid sphere from the volume of the larger spherical shell. The formula for the volume of a sphere is (4/3)πr³, where r is the radius. Therefore, the formula for the volume of a sphere in a spherical shell is (4/3)π(R³ - r³), where R is the radius of the larger shell and r is the radius of the smaller sphere.

5. What are the properties of a sphere in a spherical shell?

A sphere in a spherical shell has two radii - the radius of the inner sphere and the radius of the outer shell. It also has a volume, surface area, and mass, which can be calculated using the formulas for a sphere and a spherical shell. Additionally, the inner sphere is free to move within the larger shell, making it a unique shape with versatile applications in physics and engineering.