1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sphere near a plane(electrostatics(dipole))

1. Nov 3, 2008 #1
    Greetings,

i have the following question:

a sphere with the polarization density of P vector (constant) and radius R is placed next to an infinate grounded plane , and is touching it.
    _ <-- infinate grounded plane
    O <--- sphere
    and in the question data im given is that the field inside the sphere is E= -P/3e
    and im told to find the field in the middle of the sphere and at the touching point.

anyways what i ask is , since P is constant , there is no volume charge density. now , the area charge density is should be Pn that is 2RP. now my question is , would it be right to say that the field inside the sphere is as is said above by the question data and the sphere outside would be E=(8pie(R^3)P)/(r^2) and if that would be the case i'd be also looking at the mirror charge behind the plane and that would bring me to my solution ? also another question , about the grounded plane , what diffrence does it make in the case when i work with image charges if the plane is grounded or ungrounded?

btw , the reason i've posted this here is because its more a theoretical question and im not asking to solve the problam.
    also if you cant understand what i wrote formula wise please say so and i'll try to draw it :P

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted