1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sphere on Incline

1. Oct 15, 2007 #1
    A solid sphere of uniform density starts from rest and rolls without slipping a distance of d = 3.9 m down a q = 35° incline. The sphere has a mass M = 4.6 kg and a radius R = 0.28 m.
    [​IMG]

Suppose now that there is no frictional force between the sphere and the incline. Now, what is the translational kinetic energy of the sphere at the bottom of the incline?

Last edited: Oct 15, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2007 #2
    I figured out that the velocity is 5.6 m/s, but I don't know what the KE tran would be at the bottom without friction.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2007
  4. Oct 15, 2007 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

The problem statement is incomplete, but I infer that you are being asked for the translational KE at the bottom for the two cases: the ball rolls down the incline, or it just slips down the incline (frictionless case).

If it just slips, then the KE final equals the PE initial, right? Why?

If it rolls, then some energy goes into the rolling motion (look up moment of inertia). What is the equation for the rotational energy of a sphere? What does that do to the final KE of the sphere at the bottom?

5. Oct 15, 2007 #4
    nvm i figured it out.

6. Oct 15, 2007 #5

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Doh!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?