1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sphere rolling down a ramp

1. Jan 10, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    "A solid sphere of radius R and mass M is initially at rest at the top of a ramp. The lowest point of the sphere is a vertical h above the base of the ramp. It is released and rolls without slipping down the ramp. Determine the linear acceleration while the sphere is anywhere on the ramp.

M (mass), R (radius), h (height), g (gravity), theta

2. Relevant equations
    conservation of momentum
    I = 2/5MR^2
    w = v/r

3. The attempt at a solution

I ended up finding the linear velocity anywhere on the ramp to be square root of 10gh/7. How would I be able to use that though to find acceleration? I seriously don't know what else to do.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 10, 2007 #2
    Apply Newton 2nd Law twice, for linear and rotational motion. Friction is providing a net torque.
  4. Jan 10, 2007 #3
    That requires that I find the frictional force, but that's the next question so there has to be some way I can do it without knowing the friction force.
  5. Jan 10, 2007 #4
    You don't need to calculate the friction force. Just call it F and get the value from one of the equations and substitute in the other equation.
  6. Jan 10, 2007 #5
    The right answer is [itex]\frac{5}{7}g\sin\theta[/itex]. Did you find it? :smile:
  7. Jan 10, 2007 #6
    Yes, I did. Thanks for your help. Would you be able to explain how I would get the frictional force then? Is it just F = m times that or is it -mgsin(theta) because it's on a ramp?
  8. Jan 11, 2007 #7
    You got two equations before. Solve one to get the value of F. :smile:
  9. Jan 11, 2007 #8
    pmp! is correct.

It'd be helpful to draw a force body diagram to really grasp the idea of this =).

There's a normal force, a force of a friction, a force of gravity pulling it down in the x and y direction. There's an incline on the ramp (theta).

We know in the Y direction it's not accelerating; thus we can set that summination in the Y axis to 0. However in the X axis we do have a mass that's accelerating; thus we can set that summination in the X direction to mass * acceleration.

After you setup your forces you can then figure it all out mathematically.
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2007
  10. Jan 11, 2007 #9
    Oooh okay. That really helps. (I didn't originally use force equations to find the linear acceleration). I used vf^2 = vi^2 + 2ad. Is the correct answer:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?