Area of a Sphere: Intuitive Problem Solved

In summary: Instead, you have to divide the total area by the number of strips.For example, the area of strip 1 is (2\pi R) \times (1) = 2\pi R^2 .In summary, the area of a strip is the distance around the Earth at a latitude multiplied by the number of strips.
ChrisVer
Gold Member
I am sure this should have already be discussed somewhere in the past...
I have an intuitive problem with the area of a sphere. Following the mathematics of the metric and surfaces, I can easily derive the area of a sphere which is [itex]4 \pi R^{2} [/itex].
Now I'm have this problem:
Suppose I get a ring [circular] of radius R... then it's circumference is 2πR okay?
Then how could someone create a sphere? just roll it by an angle π around itself [check attachement]... But if I say so, won't the area be [itex] (2 \pi R) \times (\pi R) = 2 \pi^{2} R^{2} [/itex] ?

then one could say that each point on the circle is not going to cover a πR rotation, but a πr (r<R) ... double time because for each point which covers this rotation,there exists a symmetric one which covers the same... I think even with that, the area covered will be larger than the one given for a sphere.

Attachments

• test.jpg
    test.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 437
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know how you got that multiplying by [itex] \pi R [/itex] stuff but here's how its usually done.

Shyan said:
I don't know how you got that multiplying by [itex] \pi R [/itex] stuff but here's how its usually done.

what I mean is take for example a cylinder of radius R and length L...
Then what's its area? it's L *2πR , because you take the line of length L and rotate it by 2pi around a center

ChrisVer said:
Then what's its area? it's L *2πR , because you take the line of length L and rotate it by 2pi around a center

The point you're missing is that you can't deform that cylinder to a sphere!

ChrisVer said:

Suppose you cut the northern hemisphere of the Earth into strips:

1. from 0° latitude to 1° latitude
  2. from 1° to 2°
  3. etc.

What is the (approximate) area of each strip? First thing you should notice is that these strips are NOT cylinders, because one edge is slightly smaller than the other. The distance around the Earth at latitude [itex]\theta[/itex] is [itex]2\pi R cos(\theta)[/itex]. So it's only [itex]2\pi R[/itex] at latitude 0°.

Since the strips aren't the same size, you can't just multiply by the number of strips.

1. What is the formula for finding the area of a sphere?

The formula for finding the area of a sphere is A = 4πr2, where r is the radius of the sphere.

2. How do you derive the formula for finding the area of a sphere?

The formula for finding the area of a sphere can be derived by using the formula for finding the area of a circle, A = πr2, and extending it to three dimensions by multiplying it by 4π, which represents the surface area of a sphere.

3. Is the area of a sphere the same as its volume?

No, the area of a sphere and its volume are two different measurements. The area of a sphere represents the surface area of the sphere, while the volume represents the amount of space inside the sphere.

4. Can the area of a sphere be negative?

No, the area of a sphere cannot be negative. It is a physical measurement and cannot have a negative value.

5. What are some real-life applications of the formula for finding the area of a sphere?

The formula for finding the area of a sphere has many practical applications, such as calculating the surface area of a planet, determining the amount of paint needed to cover a spherical object, or calculating the volume of a liquid or gas contained in a spherical container.