1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spherical Balloon Problem

1. May 24, 2016 #1

joshmccraney

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider the process of blowing up a spherical balloon. Measurements indicate that the “surface tension” of the balloon material is ##k## (assumed constant here with units of force per unit length). Assuming that an air compressor used to blow up the balloon can deliver a constant mass flow rate of air of ##\dot{m}## , plot the balloon radius, ##r_b##, as a function of time assuming ##r_b(t) = 0##.

2. Relevant equations
    Conservation of Mass

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know the answer is $$\frac{4 \pi}{3} \left. r_b' \right.^2(2+r_b') = t'\\
    r_b'=r_b\frac{\rho_{atm} r T}{k}\\
    t' = t \frac{\dot{m}}{\rho_{atm}}\left(\frac{\rho_{atm} R T}{}k\right)^3$$

But I'm not sure how to arrive there. I was thinking $$m = \rho V = \rho \frac{4}{3}\pi r^3 \implies \dot{m} = \rho 4 \pi r^2 \frac{dr}{dt}$$. Any ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. May 25, 2016 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You should describe the physics you plan to use ... note: you last string of maths appears to assume that the density (of air inside the balloon?) is a constant.
    If so, you should probably revisit that assumption.

4. May 25, 2016 #3

Ssnow

Gold Member

Hi, I think that
    is ##r_{b}\frac{\rho_{atm}RT}{k}## and that in the equation:

the ##k## is in the denominator. I think you must remember also the relation between the pressure and the ray of the ballon ##\Delta P=\frac{4k}{r}##, and a question I suppose that ##t## is the time and ##r_{b}## the radius but ##t',r_{b}'## what are in your notation?

5. May 25, 2016 #4

joshmccraney

Gold Member

How would I know (intuitively) that density is not constant? I thought volume would increase do to constant density. At any rate, we then have $$\dot{m} = \frac{d\rho}{dt} \frac{4}{3}\pi r^3+\rho 4 \pi r^2 \frac{dr}{dt}$$
    But I'm not sure how to proceed from here.
    Yes, you are right, I'm sorry for the typos! The correct answer is

$$r_b'=r_b\frac{\rho_{atm} r T}{k}\\
    t' = t \frac{\dot{m}}{\rho_{atm}}\left(\frac{\rho_{atm} r T}{k}\right)^3$$

where ##t'## and ##r_b'## are non dimensional parameters for time and radius.
    Where did you get this formula? It definitely seems relevant.

For what it's worth, this question isn't homework (I just posted it here because this seemed appropriate). The question is from this site I found for practice problems:
    https://engineering.purdue.edu/~wassgren/notes/COM_PracticeProblems.pdf [Broken]
    and it's problem 23.

Thanks so much for your responses!

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  6. May 26, 2016 #5

Ssnow

Gold Member

yes, I think that ##\frac{r_{b}'}{r_{b}}=\frac{\rho_{atm}rT}{k}## is another way to write ##\frac{1}{r}=\frac{\Delta P}{4k}=\frac{\rho_{atm}rT}{4k}## using the law that I told you before ...

I am curious on these problems, your link doesn't work on my pc do you have another link ?

Hi

7. May 26, 2016 #6

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You know that gasses are compressible, that the balloon is elastic, and that you are adding air to the balloon. Is there any reason to assume that the air density inside the balloon is constant?
    To handle it you need to know the relationship between particle number, density, and pressure the gas exerts.
    That is why I said you should describe the physics you plan to use.

8. May 26, 2016 #7

joshmccraney

Gold Member

Thanks! And not sure why the link doesn't work? Anyways, heres the main website I found the problem from:
    https://engineering.purdue.edu/~wassgren/notes/
    Yea, I see what you're saying now about describing the physics.

I thought it would not compress because volume would expand before compressing the fluid. I'll try to apply what you both have said when I get a chance and see if I can get the solution.

9. May 26, 2016 #8

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This equation is appropriate for a bubble which is modeled as a thin spherical shell which has both an inner spherical surface and an outer spherical surface. See here for a derivation:

You will need to modify this for the case of the balloon which is treated as having only one elastic spherical surface.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted