Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spherical cap moment of inertia

1. Jun 11, 2005 #1
    Hi, I'm trying to find the formula for the moment of inertia of a spherical cap relative to the axis perpendicular to its flat area. I know it should be done by (triple) integration, but it's a very long time since I've done that kind of math ! So, if someone out there knows the formula ....
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 11, 2005 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The moment of a full sphere is 2MR^2/5. How would the moment of inertia of 1/2 a sphere be related to the moment of inertia of the full sphere?

4. Jun 12, 2005 #3
    That's easy: half of that, of course. But further on ? Do you suggest that the Moment Of Inertia of the cap is then to be calculated from the half sphere volume and the relation between cap volume and half sphere volume ?
  5. Jun 12, 2005 #4

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

From your initial statement of the problem, I assumed that 'cap' referred to a portion of the solid sphere.

Look at the integral for calculating the moment of inertia for a half sphere:

[tex]I = \frac{1}{2}\rho\pi \int_{0}^R (R^2 - z^2)^2 dz[/tex]

To find the moment of a portion you just integrate from z_0 rather than 0.

6. Jun 14, 2005 #5
    As a retired chemist, it’s a very long time (40 years) that I haven’t done any integration calculus, so I forgot quite a lot of it. But I’ll try:

Let’s consider a sphere (radius R, density ρ) from which a cap is cut with a height (= the “arrow”) h and a radius of the cut circle: r. Then I name H = R – h.

Integrating your formula for a half sphere for z = 0 to R gives the familiar I = m R2 / 5

Integration for z = 0 to H (which is the same as z = 0 to R – h) gives I = m (R – h)2 / 5

So that I (cap) = m (R2 – (R- h)2 ) / 5

= m h (2R – h) / 5

In my problem, R is unknown; only r and h are measured. But R is easily calculated as:

R = (r2 + h2) / 2 h

Substituting R in the formula for I(cap) then yields : I(cap) = m r2 / 5

This may be correct or it may be wrong (I cannot grasp it intuitively): the moment of inertia of a thin cap with cut circle radius r should be the same as that of a half sphere with radius r; and moreover, h has disappeared ! This would mean that any cap with radius of cut circle = r, cut from any sphere with radius > R, would obey this formula, and this seems impossible to me (although the formula is correct when r = R). I fear there is something fishy in my reasoning or my calculus.
    I would appreciate if you would point out my error !

7. Jun 14, 2005 #6

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

[tex]I = \frac{1}{2}\rho\pi \int_{z_0}^R (R^2 - z^2)^2 dz[/tex]

[tex]z_0 = R-h[/tex]

[tex]I = \frac{1}{2}\rho\pi(\int_{z_0}^R (R^4 -2R^2z^2 + z^4)dz)[/tex]

Separate the integrals:

[tex]I = \frac{1}{2}\rho\pi(\int_{z_0}^R R^4 dz -\int_{z_0}^R 2R^2z^2dz + \int_{z_0}^R z^4dz)[/tex]

Simplifying that is a bit of a chore but it should give you the result in terms of R and h ([itex]z_0 = (R-h)[/itex]). You then have to work out the volume of the cap and substitute for [itex]\rho = M/V[/itex]. It is a non-trivial exercise. This is the kind of thing that Maple was created for!

8. Jun 15, 2005 #7
    I did use exactly the same formulas as you gave now, but I found where I went wrong the other day: I calculated the separated integrals for R, and then presumed that the result for z° would we similar in form. So for this second calculation I forgot that R is not a variable.
    I did the calculation again, and avoided the simplifying by entering the somewhat complex formula as such in Excel : it works !

Thanks for your stimulating help !
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?