Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spherical cavity

1. Nov 17, 2015 #1
    hello, I am studying spontaneous decay of an atom in spherical cavity - but I am not getting any good book on that can anyone help me in this regard.
    thanks
    wasi

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 18, 2015 #2

f95toli

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There should be plenty of books around on cavity QED.
    The shape of the cavity shouldn't matter for the underlying physics, that just determines which modes the cavity can support.

4. Nov 22, 2015 #3
    You said modes that the cavity can support? What are you referring to by cavity support?

5. Nov 23, 2015 #4

f95toli

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I meant which TE and TM electromagnetic modes you can get in the cavity, Spherical cavities have been used for a long time (although I believe most are not actually spherical, just nearly) and you should be able to find plenty of information if you look in more engineering-type references (e.g. books on microwave engineering); much of it will be applicable even if you are working with frequencies higher than typical microwave frequencies.

6. Nov 23, 2015 #5
    Only TE and TM modes can exist in spherical cavity but what is the reason for not getting TEM modes in the cavity.

7. Nov 24, 2015 #6

f95toli

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What would a TEM mode in a cavity look like?
    I would suggest you have a look in a book on microwave engineering (e.g. the book by Pozar), a forum is not the right place for an in-depth explanation of modes in microwave cavities.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook