Atomic Spontaneous Decay in Spherical Cavity

In summary, the conversation is about the person's difficulty in finding a good book on the spontaneous decay of an atom in a spherical cavity. Another person suggests looking into books on cavity QED and explains that the shape of the cavity does not affect the underlying physics, but rather determines the types of TE and TM electromagnetic modes that can exist in the cavity. The person then asks about the possibility of TEM modes in a spherical cavity and is advised to consult a book on microwave engineering for a more detailed explanation.
wasi-uz-zaman
hello, I am studying spontaneous decay of an atom in spherical cavity - but I am not getting any good book on that can anyone help me in this regard.
thanks
wasi

Physics news on Phys.org
There should be plenty of books around on cavity QED.
The shape of the cavity shouldn't matter for the underlying physics, that just determines which modes the cavity can support.

f95toli said:
There should be plenty of books around on cavity QED.
The shape of the cavity shouldn't matter for the underlying physics, that just determines which modes the cavity can support.

You said modes that the cavity can support? What are you referring to by cavity support?

I meant which TE and TM electromagnetic modes you can get in the cavity, Spherical cavities have been used for a long time (although I believe most are not actually spherical, just nearly) and you should be able to find plenty of information if you look in more engineering-type references (e.g. books on microwave engineering); much of it will be applicable even if you are working with frequencies higher than typical microwave frequencies.

Only TE and TM modes can exist in spherical cavity but what is the reason for not getting TEM modes in the cavity.

What would a TEM mode in a cavity look like?
I would suggest you have a look in a book on microwave engineering (e.g. the book by Pozar), a forum is not the right place for an in-depth explanation of modes in microwave cavities.

What is atomic spontaneous decay?

Atomic spontaneous decay is a natural process in which an unstable atom releases energy in the form of radiation in order to become more stable.

What is a spherical cavity?

A spherical cavity is a three-dimensional empty space with a curved surface that is shaped like a sphere.

How does atomic spontaneous decay occur in a spherical cavity?

In a spherical cavity, atoms can spontaneously decay by releasing radiation in all directions due to the spherical shape of the cavity.

What is the significance of studying atomic spontaneous decay in a spherical cavity?

Studying atomic spontaneous decay in a spherical cavity can help scientists understand the properties and behavior of radiation in a confined space, which has practical applications in fields such as nuclear physics and medical imaging.

Can atomic spontaneous decay be controlled or manipulated in a spherical cavity?

No, atomic spontaneous decay is a random process and cannot be controlled or manipulated in a spherical cavity. However, scientists can study and predict the frequency and direction of decay events in a spherical cavity.