1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spherical Charge Distribution

1. Feb 25, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    There is a charge density rho that exists in a spherical region of space defined by 0 < r < a.
    [tex]\rho (r) = Ke^{-br}[/tex]
    How do you find the electric field if a charge density varies as such?

3. The attempt at a solution

I found Q total = [tex]\int \int \int \rho dV[/tex]
    Now I need to find E.

My real question is can I just put Q (as a function of r) into E = kQ/r^2? Or do I need to reevaluate the integral using dq = [tex]\rho r^2 sin(\theta) dr d\theta d\phi[/tex]

I get two different answers, (and I would have thought they should be the same) so which method is correct? I would have thought either would work.
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2008 #2
    What do you mean? Q is the integral of the charge density over the volume. Also, I think you mean [itex]dr = rho r^2 sin(\theta) dr d\theta d\phi[/itex]. What did you do for your integral?
  4. Feb 26, 2008 #3
    Why [tex]sin(\theta)[/tex]? rho depends only on r so [tex]dQ = 4\pi Kr^{2}e^{-br}dr[/tex]
  5. Feb 27, 2008 #4
    Oh whoops, I shouldn't have had rho in there, and I missed it when you had it. You were right about the dq I was questioning. dq= rho *spherical jacobian (i.e. spherical integration differentials), which is what you had.

Yes, [tex]dQ = 4\pi Kr^{2}e^{-br}dr[/tex]

This is the way you want to go. I don't really understand what other way you would have gone about it.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?