1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spherical Charge distribution

1. Jan 8, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A Non-Uniform but spherically symmetric charge distribution has a charge density:

[itex] \rho(r)=\rho_0(1-\frac{r}{R}) [/itex] for [itex] r\le R[/itex]
    [itex] \rho(r)=0 [/itex] for [itex] r > R[/itex]

where [itex] \rho = \frac{3Q}{\pi R^3} [/itex] is a positive constant

Show that the total charge contained in this charge distribution is Q

2. Relevant equations

[itex]Q_{total} = \int \rho(r)dV [/itex] with limits 0 and R
    [itex]dV = 4 \pi r^2 dr [/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I have tried so many solutions it is driving me insane.

Is my dv wrong?

my main method is substituting [itex] \rho_0 [/itex] in and then trying to take the constants out of the integral but then I'm stuck with r^3/R or something like that...

This is a 4 mark question, so that usually indicates it's a 4 step process, but this is taking me many steps to get even close..

Last edited: Jan 8, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 8, 2015 #2
    Would you mind showing more details of your working? I'm afraid I can't really tell what problem you are facing.

4. Jan 8, 2015 #3
    [itex] \displaystyle\int^R_0 \rho_0(1- \frac{r}{R}) 4 \pi r^2 dr = \displaystyle\int^R_0\ \frac{3Q}{\pi R^3}(1- \frac{r}{R}) 4 \pi r^2 dr [/itex]

5. Jan 8, 2015 #4
    That looks reasonable, just carry on evaluating the integral.

6. Jan 8, 2015 #5
    Got it!

Q_total = Q that took like 3 hours when it it was, was a very basic integration mistake.

7. Jan 8, 2015 #6
    I am just wondering, what is the proper definition of r and R?

R is the radius of the sphere? then what is r ?

8. Jan 9, 2015 #7
    Also, how would I go about deriving an expression for electric field in the region r≤R

9. Jan 9, 2015 #8
    r is the variable that describes the distance of the point from the origin of the coordinate system. R is just a constant.

Have you learnt about Gauss's law yet?

10. Jan 9, 2015 #9
    For a uniform sphere yes I could find the electric field, but not for a non uniform sphere, that has not been taught to us. I have used Gauss' Law = Q_enc/E_0,
    I think the integral limits change from 0 to R, to now 0 to r. But i'm not sure

11. Jan 9, 2015 #10
    Yup that is correct; because the quantity you want is the charge enclosed within the spherical Gaussian surface that you are using.

12. Jan 9, 2015 #11

would you be able to guide me a bit further please?

Atm, I have integral of p0(1-r/R)4pi*r^2 dr all divided by e_0 = E4pi*r^2 limits 0 to r

Sorry it's not in latex I have had to type this in a rush!

13. Jan 9, 2015 #12
    Well it actually doesn't look like you need a lot of guidance, really. You have all the correct ideas - you just need to have a bit more confidence, sit down and evaluate your integrals!

14. Jan 9, 2015 #13
    I still don't get it! If my limits are 0 and r, im just subbing r into r again for the same thing?

I get [itex] \frac{4 \pi*p_0( \frac{r^3}{3} - \frac{r^4}{4R}){\episilom} =E4\pi*r^2 [\itex]

Last edited: Jan 9, 2015
  15. Jan 9, 2015 #14
    The r in the integral is a dummy variable, not to be confused with the limit r that defines the size of the Gaussian surface that you have chosen. If you want to be careful, then maybe you want to write
    [tex]Q_{enc} = \int_{0}^{r} \rho_{0}\left(1 - \frac{r'}{R}\right) 4 \pi r'^{2} dr'[/tex]
    to 'distinguish' the two of them.

16. Jan 9, 2015 #15
    [itex] \frac{4 \pi*p_0( \frac{r^3}{3} - \frac{r^4}{4R})}{\epsilon_0} =E4\pi*r^2 [/itex]

That's where I'm at? not sure how to progress.

17. Jan 9, 2015 #16
    Yeah, you're there already, just make E the subject!

18. Jan 9, 2015 #17
    Fair enough, I had already done that and then substituted P_0 in and then things got silly. If that's all there is to it then that's fine, it doesn't say I have to include it in terms of Q so i'll leave it as P_0, cheers for the help.

19. Jan 9, 2015 #18
    Silly? How so? Quick way to check your answer is to set r = R, you should recover the expected [itex]\frac{Q}{4\pi R^{2}}[/itex]

20. Jan 10, 2015 #19
    I'm still all over the place.

Right,

[itex] E4 \pi r^2 = \frac{\displaystyle \int \rho_0(1-\frac{r}{R})4\pi r^2 dr}{\epsilon_0} [/itex]

Can't I just take p_0 out of the integral and then divide by [itex]4\pi r^2[/itex] ?
    I'm still not getting the right answer!

21. Jan 10, 2015 #20
    The answer you posted earlier, [tex]\mathbf{E} = \frac{\rho_0( \frac{r}{3} - \frac{r^2}{4R})}{\epsilon_0} \hat{r}[/tex]
    (I rearranged and added in the direction vector for completeness)
    was correct. So I don't kind of get why you are returning to the integral.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted