1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spherical conductor capacitors

1. May 14, 2006 #1
    Question asks:

Two spherical conductors of radius 0.01m are placed with their centres 0.1m apart. Calculate the capacitance (C) of this system.

I can't do it like a parallel plate capacitor can i? and its not a traditional spherical capacitor is it? So I'm gonna have to do it the long boring way, by finding the electric field between the two, and using that to find the potential difference between them aren't I?

Please tell me theres a quicker way than this!

2. jcsd
  3. May 14, 2006 #2
    Q = CV, but do you know another equation for V, one that involves charge and distance perhaps?

Edit (in reply to post #3): My apologies, I guess I forgot about the part about point charges.

Last edited: May 14, 2006
  4. May 14, 2006 #3
    V=kQ/r?

But isn't that for point charges, of which this isn't?

5. May 14, 2006 #4
    Brewer there is no quicker way. It is given as a standard result in many texts.

6. May 14, 2006 #5
    balls!

I have read the question correctly and that the spheres are next to each other rather than a sphere inside a sphere?

Its just I can't find examples of the next to each other case, but loads for sphere in a sphere.

7. May 14, 2006 #6
    Right, I get an answer of:
    [tex]C = \frac{ \epslion_{0}4\pi(r_{a}+r)r_{a}}{r}[/tex]

which when I plug the numbers in gives me [tex]1.22*10^{-12} F[/tex]

where [tex]r_{a}[/tex] is the radius of a sphere, and r is separation between them.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?