1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spherical conductors

1. Jan 11, 2015 #1

pitbull

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Given two spherical conductors of radius R and tangent at O, both are charged and in equilibrium with surface charge density ρs0cos2theta. Calculate:
    a) Voltage of both spheres at O. (SOLUTION: V=2ρ0R/(3ε0)
    (...)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    So I tried to solve it, first saying that both have the same voltage on its surface, thus, the voltage at point O is the same as voltage anywhere else on the surface of any of those spheres. I integrated ρs on the surface on one sphere, (R between 0 and R, and theta between 0 and 2pi), and I got a charge of R2ρ0pi/4 on one sphere,
    Then I use Gauss to find the Electric field made by such sphere and integrate to find the voltage on the surface of the sphere, and I got V=ρ0R/(8ε0). I cannot find what's wrong

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 11, 2015 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Where theta is...?
    I'm a bit puzzled, though. In principle, one could deduce the surface charge distribution from the total charge and other information. Are we to suppose that the given formula is the solution? Or is 'conducting' a mistake here?

4. Jan 11, 2015 #3

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Can you show what you did ? A sphere sounds three-dimensional. What happened to ##\phi## and why do you let ##\theta## go from 0 to ##2\pi## ? What do you think the charge density at O is ?

A drawing might make things a lot clearer, also for potential helpers (see the confusion with haru, who will help you further, since it's past my bedtime here :) )

5. Jan 11, 2015 #4

pitbull

Gold Member

The solution is not a formula, it is just what the textbook gives as a solution. I don't know why I was thinking of polar coordinates, so I have the wrong limits for the integral o0). I just saw the drawing. It was on the back of the page, so now it should make sense. But now that I saw the drawing, I cant calculate ds for the integral

Attached Files:

6. Jan 11, 2015 #5

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

OK, the diagram helps. With theta defined that way, I confirm that the formula for charge density is indeed a solution.
    But it's easier to work in terms of angle subtended at the centre of the sphere. Let A be the point where the chord shown touches the sphere at top right. What angle does the chord OA subtend at the centre of the sphere? Call this angle ##\phi##. Consider the circular band width ##d\phi## passing through A. What potential does that produce at O?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted