1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spherical connection coefficients

1. Sep 13, 2009 #1
    I have to determine the 18 connection coefficients [tex]\Gamma_{ij}^{k}[/tex] for spherical coordinates.

I know how to calculate said coefficients, but I'm not sure what all 18 are. Can anyone clarify what the possible combinations could be?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2009 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I'm not exactly sure what you are asking here. Are you asking for the answers to compare to or are you confused as to why there are only 18 coefficients?

Assuming the latter, there are actually [itex]3\times3\times3=27[/itex] coefficients since [itex]i[/itex], [itex]j[/itex] and [itex]k[/itex] each can have 3 different values (one for each coordinate)....its just that some of them turn out to be zero.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2009
  4. Sep 15, 2009 #3
    You interpreted my question correctly. Thank you for clearing that up! I'll work them out now and post my solutions.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook