Spherical Coordinates: Distance Between 2 Points

Expert SummarizerIn summary, the conversation discusses finding geodesic distances for an ellipsoid using the Vincenty formula, which takes into account the shape and size of the ellipsoid. The formula is derived from the geodesic equation and takes into account the latitudes and longitudes of the two points.
jsbxd9
Hello,

I am looking into finding geodesic distances for an ellipsoid. I will designate two points then find the distance between them. This will be my geodesic distance. I have put together a schematic (attached) for reference. Ultimately I need to know the distance D as shown on the attachment. I figured if I found β I could use the law of cosines to figure the distance D. I have also been reading a book that states D = √(ρ12 + ρ22 - 2ρ1ρ2 (cosθ1cosθ2 + cos (ø1 - ø2) sinθ1 sinθ2)) I cannot figure out the way this equation was derived so I am not sure if it will work.

Please let me know if you have a solution.

Thank you,
- Jonathan

View attachment Spherical Coordinate System.pdf

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello Jonathan,

Thank you for your inquiry. Geodesic distances for an ellipsoid can be calculated using the Vincenty formula, which takes into account the shape and size of the ellipsoid. The formula is as follows:

D = tan^-1(√((cosθ2sin(λ2-λ1))^2 + (cosθ1sinθ2-sinθ1cosθ2cos(λ2-λ1))^2) / (sinθ1sinθ2+cosθ1cosθ2cos(λ2-λ1)))

In this formula, θ1 and θ2 represent the latitudes of the two points, λ1 and λ2 represent the longitudes, and D represents the geodesic distance between the two points. This formula is derived from the geodesic equation, which takes into account the curvature of the ellipsoid.

I hope this helps with your calculations. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to reach out.

1. What are spherical coordinates?

Spherical coordinates are a system of coordinates used to locate points in three-dimensional space. They consist of a distance from the origin, an angle from the positive x-axis, and an angle from the positive z-axis.

2. How do you convert between spherical and Cartesian coordinates?

To convert from spherical coordinates (r, θ, φ) to Cartesian coordinates (x, y, z), you can use the following equations:
x = r * sin(θ) * cos(φ)
y = r * sin(θ) * sin(φ)
z = r * cos(θ)

3. How do you calculate the distance between two points in spherical coordinates?

The distance between two points in spherical coordinates can be calculated using the following formula:
d = √(r₁² + r₂² - 2r₁r₂cos(θ₁ - θ₂)cos(φ₁ - φ₂))
where r₁, r₂ are the distances from the origin, θ₁, θ₂ are the angles from the positive x-axis, and φ₁, φ₂ are the angles from the positive z-axis.

4. Can spherical coordinates be used to represent points on a flat surface?

No, spherical coordinates are typically used to represent points in three-dimensional space. To represent points on a flat surface, such as a map, a different coordinate system, such as Cartesian coordinates, would be more appropriate.

5. Are there any other types of coordinates besides spherical and Cartesian?

Yes, there are many different types of coordinate systems, including polar coordinates, cylindrical coordinates, and geographic coordinates. Each type has its own unique way of representing points in space and can be useful in different applications.