1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spherical coordinates doubt

1. Aug 9, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

In spherical coordinates (ρ,θ,ø); I understood the ranges of ρ, and θ. But ø, still eludes my understanding. Why is ø only from 0 to π, why not 0 to 2π??

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 9, 2014 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Look at a diagram to see why.

4. Aug 9, 2014 #3

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Values of ø between from 0 to π cover the whole surface of the sphere. On maps of the earth latitude is measured from -90 to + 90 degrees not 0 and 180, and longitude from -180 to +180 not 0 to 360, but the basic idea is the same.

652px-Latitude_and_Longitude_of_the_Earth.svg.png

5. Aug 9, 2014 #4
    ## \phi = 0 ## is directly overhead, ## \phi = \pi ## is directly beneath your feet, where would ## \phi = 2\pi ## be?

6. Aug 9, 2014 #5
    If seeing the diagram would have had helped, then I would not have asked the question in the first place.

7. Aug 9, 2014 #6
    Okay, I have uploaded two attachments.

When I view from side, ø = π, covers only half the circle (see the picture). When I try to think of it as a clock, ø = π, covers 12 to 6. Now shouldn't ø = 1.5π cover 12 to 9, and ø = 2π cover the whole circle, and reach the same point as π = 0.

Also, in ø = π, the 3d section appears to me as a hemisphere. Shouldn't it be a total sphere??

Or maybe, I am confusing spherical coordinates with polar or cartesian coordinates??

Attached Files:

8. Aug 9, 2014 #7
    So what you have shown is a coloured half-disk. For every point on that disk, Θ = 0. If you vary Θ from 0 to 2π the half-disk will sweep out a complete sphere.

9. Aug 9, 2014 #8
    Please explain further, I can't seem to understand.

EDIT: Okay, I think, I got a little idea of why ø = π would work. Basically, The up and down thing was exactly right. I think, I confused myself, when I added a sense of left and right. It is a total different axis, and the coordinates seem to do exactly the same thing, by putting θ = π to 2π.

10. Aug 9, 2014 #9
    Okay, this is the link,

http://mathinsight.org/spherical_coordinates

11. Aug 9, 2014 #10

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Since [itex]\theta[/itex] goes from [itex]0[/itex] to [itex]2\pi[/itex], if we allowed [itex]\phi[/itex] to go also from [itex]0[itex] to [itex]2\pi[/itex] some points would have two descriptions. For example, [itex]\theta= 3\pi/2[/itex], [itex]\phi= \pi/4[/itex] and [itex]\theta= \pi/2[/itex], [itex]\phi= 7\pi/4[/itex], [itex]\rho[/itex] and fixed value, say 1, designate the same point.

You can see that by converting to Cartesian coordinates: [itex]x= \rho cos(\theta) sin(\phi)[/itex], [itex]y= \rho sin(\theta) sin(\phi)[/itex], [itex]z= \rho cos(\phi)[/itex].

[itex]\rho= 1[/itex], [itex]\theta= 3\pi/2[/itex], [itex]\phi= \pi/4[/itex] gives [itex]x= 1(0)(\sqrt{2}/2)= 0[/itex], [itex]y= 1(-1)(\sqrt{2}/2)= -\sqrt{2}/2[/itex] and [itex]z= 1(\sqrt{2}/2)= \sqrt{2}/2[/itex].

[itex]\rho= 1[/itex], [itex]\theta= \pi/2[/itex], [itex]\phi= 7\pi/4[/itex] gives [itex]x= 1(0)(-\sqrt{2}/2)= 0[/itex], [itex]y= 1(1)(-\sqrt{2}/2)= -\sqrt{2}/2[/itex], and [itex]z= 1(\sqrt{2}/2)= \sqrt{2}/2[/itex].

12. Aug 9, 2014 #11

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If I was a mind-reader I would have known that. I had no way to know what you have, or have not looked at already.

13. Aug 9, 2014 #12
    Phi is the angle between the axis of the sphere and a line drawn through the center of the sphere to a given latitude, measured from the North Pole. It is equal to 90 degrees (i.e., ∏/2) minus the latitude. So, ø =0 represents a line drawn from the center of the sphere through the North pole, ø = ∏/2 represents a line drawn through the center of the sphere to any point on the equator, and ø =∏ represents a line drawn through the center of the sphere to the South pole.

Chet

14. Aug 10, 2014 #13
    Thanks, got it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted