1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spherical coordinates?

1. Jun 2, 2006 #1
    What is equivalent to the unit k (vector in cartesian coords) in spherical coordinates? And why?

z=rcos(t)

Last edited: Jun 2, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 2, 2006 #2
    if the vector is in three dimensions, one more variable(of spherical) is required to define j.

4. Jun 2, 2006 #3

dav2008

Gold Member

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2017
  5. Jun 2, 2006 #4
    I made a mistake which has been corrected, it should be the unit k vector.

In cartesian, it is (0,0,1). What is it in spherical (0,0,what)?

6. Jun 3, 2006 #5

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

For the most common choice of spherical polar coordinates,
    [tex]x=r\sin\phi\cos\theta,y=r\sin\phi\sin\thea,z=r\cos\phi,0\leq{r},0\leq\phi\leq\pi,0\leq\theta\leq{2}\pi[/itex]
    we have the following unit vetors relations:
    [tex]\vec{i}_{r}=\sin\phi(\cos\theta\vec{i}+\sin\theta\vec{j})+\cos\phi\vec{k}[/tex]
    [tex]\vec{i}_{\phi}=\frac{\partial}{\partial\phi}\vec{i}_{r}=\cos\phi(\cos\theta\vec{i}+\sin\theta\vec{j})-\sin\phi\vec{k}[/tex]
    [tex]\vec{i}_{\theta}=\frac{1}{\sin\phi}\frac{\partial}{\partial\theta}\vec{i}_{r}=-\sin\theta\vec{i}+\cos\theta\vec{j}[/tex]
    Solving for the Cartesian unit vectors we gain, in particular:
    [tex]\vec{k}=\cos\phi\vec{i}_{r}-\sin\phi\vec{i}_{\phi}[/tex]
    That is of course equal to the coordinate transformation:
    [tex](0,0,1)\to(\cos\phi,0,\sin\phi)[/tex]
    In order to find the correct expressions for the other two unit Cartesian vectors, utilize the intermediate result:
    [tex]\sin\phi\vec{i}_{r}+\cos\phi\vec{i}_{\phi}=\vec{i}_{\hat{r}}=\cos\theta\vec{i}+\sin\theta\vec{j}[/itex]
    [itex]\vec{i}_{\hat{r}},\vec{i}_{\theta}[/itex] are polar coordinate vectors in the horizontal plane.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook