1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spherical coordinates

1. Jul 18, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Use spherical coordinates to find the volume of the solid that lies above the cone z= sqrt(x^2 + y^2) and below the sphere x^2 + y^2 + z^2 = z.

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm having trouble solving for rho (p). I know it starts from 0, and it reaches to the sphere and to the cone. But I don't know where to go from there.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 18, 2008 #2
    Assuming you meant [tex]\rho_o[/tex], the question becomes one of finding [tex]\phi[/tex].
    In this case, you have to look at your cone. Essentially, it says [tex]z = r[/tex], where r is in cylindrical coordinates. Now use the conversions to spherical, [tex]z=\rho cos(\phi)[/tex] and [tex] r = \rho sin (\phi)[/tex]. Equating those gives you [tex]cos(\phi) = sin(\phi)[/tex], or [tex] \phi = \pi/4[/tex]. So [tex]0<\phi<\pi/4[/tex].

Last edited: Jul 18, 2008
  4. Jul 18, 2008 #3
    It is a sphere, though. If you move the z over to the left side of the equation, complete the square, you get a sphere with center (0,0,1/2). Also, I need to find rho, not phi.

5. Jul 18, 2008 #4
    Sorry.
    [tex] x^2 + y^2 +z^2 = \rho^2[/tex]

[tex] z = \rho cos(\phi)[/tex]

[tex]x^2 + y^2 +z^2 = z[/tex] implies [tex]\rho^2 = \rho cos(\phi)[/tex]

or [tex]\rho = cos(\phi)[/tex]

so [tex]0 < \rho < cos(\phi)[/tex]

6. Jul 18, 2008 #5
    Why are we just looking at the sphere though and not the cone boundary?

7. Jul 18, 2008 #6
    Because you said "below the sphere x^2 + y^2 + z^2 = z" which implies the sphere is the upper bound, so its value for [tex]\rho[/tex] is the maximum value that [tex]\rho[/tex] can take on, thus establishing the upper limit of integration. Hope that made sense :)

8. Jul 18, 2008 #7
    That makes sense...but we are also looking at the cone too. And the value of p for the cone doesn't depend on theta...it is constant. How do we know if we need to divide the triple integral expression into 2 separate ones, one for each different p?

9. Jul 18, 2008 #8
    Okay, this took me a while to find, but here's an example of a time when you need to split the expression for different values of [tex]\rho[/tex].

There are several evident differences between your problem and this one. Most importantly, notice that your solid is "above the cone z= sqrt(x^2 + y^2)" and the example I show is enclosed by the planes. There is a uniquely different value of [tex]\rho[/tex] that the function takes on for different values of [tex]\phi[/tex] namely because the solid that is being integrated must satisfy either being inside a cone or inside a sphere.

Essentially, in the example I give, there are uniquely different values of [tex]\rho[/tex] for different values of [tex]\phi[/tex], whereas in your case, no such thing occurs. If you try to find a different [tex]\rho[/tex], you get what I did in an earlier post:
    Notice that the [tex]\rho[/tex] cancels, thus showing that there is no other unique value to make different bounds of integration.

http://img528.imageshack.us/my.php?image=11fm5.jpg

Last edited: Jul 18, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?