Spherical Coordinates Conversion and Region Analysis

In summary, the conversation discusses the conversion of a surface over a specific region, which is represented by the equation \rho=sin\phicos\theta/a + sin\phisin\theta/b + cos\phi/c, and the fact that this region is equal to 1. The individual is struggling to determine the range for \rho, but it is clarified that \rho cannot be less than 0 and the maximum value is 1. A request is made for the individual to show their work to reach the maximum value.
moneyjane
After converting a surface over the region that [tex]\rho[/tex]=sin[tex]\phi[/tex]cos[tex]\theta[/tex]/a + sin[tex]\phi[/tex]sin[tex]\theta[/tex]/b + cos[tex]\phi[/tex]/c
I also have that this region is equal to 1.

I can't seem to get anywhere..

Physics news on Phys.org
moneyjane said:
After converting a surface over the region that [tex]\rho[/tex]=sin[tex]\phi[/tex]cos[tex]\theta[/tex]/a + sin[tex]\phi[/tex]sin[tex]\theta[/tex]/b + cos[tex]\phi[/tex]/c
I also have that this region is equal to 1.

I can't seem to get anywhere..

And your question is?

haha sorry. i meant to ask how would i get the range for p.

Well, [itex]\rho[/itex] can't be less than 0. What is the maximum value of [itex]\rho[/itex]?

the max is one.

Moneyjane,

Could you show your work to get to the maximum of 1 ?

Thanks

1. What are spherical coordinates?

Spherical coordinates are a three-dimensional coordinate system used to locate points in space. They use two angles, θ and φ, and a distance, r, to specify the position of a point relative to a fixed origin.

2. How are spherical coordinates different from Cartesian coordinates?

Spherical coordinates are different from Cartesian coordinates in that they use angles and a distance to locate a point, while Cartesian coordinates use three perpendicular axes (x, y, z) to locate a point.

3. What is the range of values for spherical coordinates?

The range of values for spherical coordinates is dependent on the specific coordinate system being used. However, generally θ ranges from 0 to 2π, φ ranges from 0 to π, and r can be any positive real number.

4. What is the relationship between spherical and cylindrical coordinates?

Spherical coordinates and cylindrical coordinates are related in that both use an angle and a distance to locate a point. However, spherical coordinates also include an additional angle (θ) to specify the direction of the point from the origin.

5. How are spherical coordinates used in physics and engineering?

Spherical coordinates are commonly used in physics and engineering to describe the position and motion of objects in three-dimensional space. They are particularly useful in spherical geometry, electromagnetism, and celestial mechanics.