1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spherical coordinates

1. Dec 29, 2009 #1
    I want to evaluate the following integral:

[tex] I(p_{1}, p_{2}, p_{3}) = \int \mathrm{d}^{4} q \mathrm{d}^{4}p \, \dfrac{1}{\left[ p_{2} + q \right]^{2} - i0} \dfrac{1}{\left[ p_{1} - q - p \right]^{2} + i0} \Theta(q^{0}) \delta(q^{2}) \Theta(-p_{2}^{0} -p_{3}^{0} - q^{0} -p^{0}) \delta(\left[p_{2} + p_{3} + q + p \right]^{2}) \Theta(p^{0}) \delta(p^{2}) [/tex].

[tex] p_{1}, p_{2}, p_{3} [/tex] are time-like four-vectors, so e.g. [tex] p_{1}^{2} > 0 [/tex]

After some work like exploiting the step- and delta-functions [tex] \Theta(q^{0}) \delta(q^{2}) \Theta(p^{0}) \delta(p^{2}) [/tex] and by choosing a special frame with
    [tex] p_{2} + p_{3} = (p_{2}^{0} + p_{3}^{0}, \vec{0}) [/tex] I arrived at:

[tex] I(p_{1}, p_{2}, p_{3}) = \int \dfrac{\mathrm{d}^{3}q \, \mathrm{d}^{3}p}{4 \vert \vec{q} \vert \cdot \vert \vec{p} \vert} \, \dfrac{1}{p_{2}^{2} + p_{2}^{0} \vert \vec{q} \vert + \vert \vec{p}_{2} \vert \cdot \vert \vec{q} \vert \cos \theta_{1} - i0} \, \dfrac{1}{p_{1}^{2} - 2p_{1}^{0} \vert \vec{q} \vert + 2 \vert \vec{p}_{1} \vert \cdot \vert \vec{q} \vert \cos \theta_{2} - 2 p_{1}^{0} \vert \vec{p} \vert + 2 \vert \vec{p}_{1} \vert \cdot \vert \vec{p} \vert \cos \theta_{3} + 2 \vert \vec{q} \vert \cdot \vert \vec{p} \vert - 2 \vert \vec{q} \vert \cdot \vert \vec{p} \vert \cos \eta +i0} [/tex]

[tex] \times \delta((p_{2}^{0}+p_{3}^{0})^{2} + 2 \vert \vec{q} \vert \cdot \vert \vec{p} \vert - 2 \vert \vec{q} \vert \cdot \vert \vec{p} \vert \cos \eta + 2 (p_{2}^{0}+p_{3}^{0}))

So I used spherical coordinates, but I don't know how to integrate that thing. I just know that if [tex] \eta [/tex] is the angle between the vectors [tex] \vec{p} [/tex] and [tex] \vec{q} [/tex] than we must have: [tex] \theta_{3} = \eta - \theta_{2} [/tex].

But how do I continue? I think I must somehow specify the elevation and azimuth angles in a special way, but I don't know how to do that.

Could anyone help me please?
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 31, 2009 #2

Homework Helper

I have to wonder, how did you get that integral? (Obviously from a Feynman diagram, but which one?) Something about it looks off to me.
  4. Jan 1, 2010 #3
    The integral is just the Fourier transform of [tex] G_{F}^{*} G_{F} G G [/tex]

(of course with some arguments), where [tex] * [/tex] is complex conjugation, [tex] G_{F} [/tex] is the (massless) Feynman-Propagator in p-space and [tex] G(p) = \dfrac{i}{2 \pi} \Theta(p^{0}) \delta(p^{2})[/tex].

The first expression of the integral above is correct, but I just don't know how to compute it explicitly. And now there is the problem with spherical coordinates, but I don't know how to continue. Any ideas?
  5. Jan 1, 2010 #4

Homework Helper

Not really... I tried fiddling with it a bit but I couldn't get it much simpler than you did. Though I'm not sure that picking a specific reference frame is the way to go about it... whenever I've done these propagator integrals, there hasn't been any need to specialize to a particular reference frame. But on the other hand, I typically had expressions like [itex]\delta^{(4)}(p_1^\mu + p_2^\mu)[/itex] instead of your [itex]G(p)[/itex]. A delta function of a momentum four-vector eliminates four degrees of freedom from the integral, but your [itex]\delta(p^2)[/itex] only eliminates one, which means I'd expect your integral to be rather messier than anything I'm used to dealing with.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook