1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spherical Coordinates

1. Sep 3, 2004 #1
    I'm trying to find the line element in spherical coordinates as well as a velocity element. I know that they are (ds)^2=(dr)^2+r^2(sin(theta))^2(dtheta)^2+r^2(dphi)^2 and sqrt[(dr/dt)^2+r^2(sin theta)^2(dtheta/dt)^2+r^2(dphi/dt)^2].

I know that this should be a quick and easy problem, but I simply can not figure it out. I would really appreciate some help on this one.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 3, 2004 #2

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Start from Cartesian coordinates in which [itex]ds^2 = dx^2+dy^2+dz^2[/itex] then calculate the differentials dx, dy and dz using:

[tex]x = r \sin \theta \cos \phi[/tex]
    [tex]y = r \sin \theta \sin \phi[/tex]
    [tex]z = r \cos \theta[/tex]

Substitute for dx, dy and dz in [itex]ds^2 = dx^2+dy^2+dz^2[/itex] and after a bit of algebra you should get the desired result.

4. Sep 3, 2004 #3

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

To find the velocity vector, write the position vector as [itex] r(t) \hat r [/itex].
    Then [itex]v(t)=\frac{d}{dt} \left[ r(t) \hat r \right] [/itex].
    Use the product rule.
    You'll have to compute [itex]\frac{d}{dt} \hat r [/itex],
    where [tex]\hat r= \sin\theta\cos\phi \hat\imath + \sin\theta\sin\phi \hat\jmath + \cos\theta \hat k[/tex].

To simplify what you get, you might find it useful to know that
    [tex]\hat \theta= \cos\theta\cos\phi \hat\imath + \cos\theta\sin\phi \hat\jmath - \sin\theta \hat k[/tex]
    and [tex]\hat \phi= -\sin\phi \hat\imath + \cos\phi \hat\jmath [/tex]

You can derive these expressions for the spherical-polar unit vectors if you calculate the vectorial element
    [tex]d \vec s = (dx)\hat \imath + (dy)\hat \jmath + (dz)\hat k [/tex]
    using Tide's expressions for x, y, and z. [The strategy is to group the terms in [itex] dr[/itex], [itex]d\theta[/itex], and [itex]d\phi[/itex].]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?