What are the Spherical Coordinates for a Quarter Ball Volume?

In summary, the conversation discusses difficulties with solving a triple integral in spherical coordinates, specifically in understanding the limits of integration for rho, phi, and theta. A similar problem is referenced for guidance and the solution is determined to be a quarter of a ball, with limits of 0<rho<4, 0<theta<pi, and 0<phi<pi/2.
mrkb80

Homework Statement

I am having so much trouble with this one problem ( and spherical coordinates in general ).

Any help would be amazing:
∫∫∫ 1 / √(x2+y2+z2)

Over -4≤x≤4, 0≤y≤√(16-x2), 0≤z≤√(16-x2-y2)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that rho2 will replace √(x2+y2+z2) in my integral, but I am having a really hard time understanding what my limits of integration should be for rho,phi, and theta. I think it is some sort of a snow cone, where theta is from 0 to pi/2 but I'm really not sure.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your volume is a quarter of a ball. A ball cut in 4 pieces by two ortogonal planes.
This is 0<rho<4, 0<theta<pi, 0<phi<pi/2

1. What are spherical coordinates?

Spherical coordinates are a type of coordinate system used to locate points in three-dimensional space. They use a radial distance, an angle from the z-axis, and an angle from the x-axis to specify a point's position.

2. How do spherical coordinates differ from Cartesian coordinates?

Spherical coordinates use a different set of variables to describe a point's position compared to Cartesian coordinates. While Cartesian coordinates use x, y, and z coordinates, spherical coordinates use a radial distance, azimuthal angle, and polar angle.

3. What is the purpose of using spherical coordinates?

Spherical coordinates are particularly useful when working with objects or systems that have a spherical or symmetrical shape. They make it easier to calculate distances, angles, and volumes in these types of systems.

4. Can spherical coordinates be converted to Cartesian coordinates?

Yes, spherical coordinates can be converted to Cartesian coordinates and vice versa. The conversion involves using trigonometric functions to calculate the x, y, and z coordinates based on the radial distance and angles in the spherical coordinate system.

5. Are spherical coordinates used in any real-world applications?

Yes, spherical coordinates are used in many real-world applications, such as astronomy, physics, and engineering. They are particularly useful for describing the positions of celestial bodies, navigation systems, and tracking systems for objects in motion.