1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spherical coordinates

1. May 20, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find [itex] VR_{z}^{2} = \int \!\!\! \int \!\!\! \int_{E} (x^{2} + y^{2})dV[/itex] given a constant density lying above upper half of [itex]x^{2}+y^{2} = 3z^{2}[/itex] and below [itex]x^{2}+y^{2}+z^{2} = 4z[/itex].

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Why does it say upper half of [itex]x^{2}+y^{2} = 3z^{2}[/itex]? It's not like there are two possible halves.

Here's what I've done so far but I'm a little unsure about some theory.
    For [itex]x^{2}+y^{2} = 3z^{2}[/itex]
    [itex] \tan^{2}\phi = 3[/itex] which means [itex]\phi=\pm\frac{\pi}{3}[/itex]

I've seen most questions don't actually have a - value for [itex]\phi[/itex] because it only works in a range of [itex] 0 [/itex] and [itex]\pi[/itex] right? The movement itself is taken care of by [itex]\theta[/itex]? So I can just get rid off that negative [itex] \frac{\pi}{3}[/itex]?

For [itex]x^{2}+y^{2}+z^{2} = 4z[/itex]:
    [itex]\rho=4cos\phi[/itex] and then usually questions will say [itex]0\leq\rho\leq4\cos\phi[/itex] but I don't really know how we get it ranges from 0... ?

Assuming I did everything right I'll then get:
    [itex]E=\{(r,\theta,\phi):0\leq\theta\leq2\pi,\, 0\leq\phi\leq\frac{\pi}{3},\, 0\leq \rho \leq4 \cos\phi\}[/itex]

Which I then plug into an integral like this:

[itex] \int_{0}^{2\pi} \int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{3}} \int_{0}^{4\cos\phi} (x^{2} + y^{2}) \,\rho^{2}\sin\phi d\rho d\phi d\theta[/itex]

2. jcsd
  3. May 20, 2013 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

On the contrary, there are "two possible halves", [itex]z= \sqrt{(x^2+ y^2)/3}[/itex] and [itex]z= -\sqrt{(x^2+ y^2)/3}[/itex]. This is a cone with two nappes.

What negative are you talking about? Yes, in spherical coordinates, [itex]\phi[/itex] is always gbetween 0 and [itex]\pi[/itex]. I don't see a problem with that.

Where do the two surfaces, [itex]x^2+ y^2= 3z^2[/itex] (a cone) and [itex]x^2+ y^2+ z^2= 4z[/itex] (a sphere with center at (0, 0, 2)) intersect? Subtracting the first from the second we have [itex]z^2= 4z- 3z^2[/itex] which reduces to [itex]z^2- z= z(z- 1)= 0[/tex].
    z= 1 gives. as you say, [itex]tan(\phi)= 3[/itex].

[/quote]Assuming I did everything right I'll then get:
    [itex]E=\{(r,\theta,\phi):0\leq\theta\leq2\pi,\, 0\leq\phi\leq\frac{\pi}{3},\, 0\leq \rho \leq4 \cos\phi\}[/itex]

Which I then plug into an integral like this:

[itex] \int_{0}^{2\pi} \int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{3}} \int_{0}^{4\cos\phi} (x^{2} + y^{2}) \,\rho^{2}\sin\phi d\rho d\phi d\theta[/itex][/QUOTE]
    Why do you still have [itex]x^2+ y^2[/itex] after you have converted to spherical coordinates?

4. May 20, 2013 #3
    Cool, I see it now.

This.

[itex]x^{2}+y^{2}=3z^{2}[/itex]
    [itex]\rho^{2}\sin^{2}(\phi)\cos^{2}(\theta)+\rho^{2}\sin^{2}(\phi)\sin^{2}(\theta)=3\rho\cos^{2}(\phi)[/itex]
    [itex]\sin^{2}(\phi)=3\cos^{2}(\phi)[/itex]
    [itex]\tan^{2}\phi=3[/itex]
    [itex]\tan\phi=\pm\sqrt{3}[/itex]
    [itex]\phi=\pm\frac{\pi}{3}[/itex]

Ok. I see you've found the intersection using the rectangular coordinates.
    Can't I do so in spherical co-ordinates?
    Why am I only getting one of the intersections when I do it this way (spherical coordinates)? i.e. [itex]\phi=\pm\frac{\pi}{3}[/itex] and not the 0.
    Also why is z=1 the equivalent of [itex]\tan\phi = \pm\sqrt{3}[/itex] ?
    If I convert z=1 to spherical co-ordinates I get [itex]\rho\sin\phi=1[/itex] ... not sure how to convert the 1 to the spherical equivalent.
    How did you get the centre of the sphere as (0,0,2)? The z on the other side of the equality has thrown me off a little.

Why do you still have [itex]x^2+ y^2[/itex] after you have converted to spherical coordinates?[/QUOTE]

Should be...

[itex] \int_{0}^{2\pi} \int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{3}} \int_{0}^{4\cos\phi} (\rho^{2}\sin^{2}(\phi)) \,\rho^{2}\sin\phi d\rho d\phi d\theta[/itex]

Last edited: May 20, 2013
  5. May 26, 2013 #4
  6. May 26, 2013 #5

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Why the bump? What's left to do?

7. May 29, 2013 #6
    Yeah, I don't really get why z=1 gives [itex]\tan\phi=\pm\sqrt{3}[/itex] I can get this if I convert to spherical co-ordinates straight away but not by solving the intersection of the rectangular coordinates.

Also while there are no negative in spherical co-ordinate radians I get [itex]\phi=\pm\frac{pi}{3}[/itex]

8. May 29, 2013 #7

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

In post #1 you have shown that ##\tan^2\phi = 3##, so ##\tan \phi = \pm\sqrt 3##. If you plug that into a calculator you get ##\phi = \pm \frac \pi 3##. Those are the principle values of the arctangent. But in spherical coordiantes you always want solutions between ##0## and ##\pi##. So if you want the bottom portion of the cone, you need the second quadrant value of ##\phi## whose tangent is ##-\sqrt 3##. That is ##\frac{2\pi} 3##. Of course, you don't need that for your problem because it is only concerned with the upper half of the cone.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted