1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spherical Coordinates

1. Dec 1, 2013 #1
    So, I was curious about this and found more or less what I was looking for here: http://electron9.phys.utk.edu/vectors/3dcoordinates.htm

Except, something is bothering me about those equations. At the very bottom, the equation for Theta in a spherical coordinate system; shouldn't it be
    [itex]\theta = {tan^{-1}}( \frac{\sqrt{{x^{2}}+{y^{2}}}}{z})[/itex]
    instead of
    [itex]\theta = {tan^{-1}}( \frac{z}{\sqrt{{x^{2}}+{y^{2}}}})[/itex]

(The image in question)
    p22.gif

Because [itex]{tan^{-1}}( \frac{opposite}{adjacent}) = \theta [/itex] , and looking at angle [itex] \theta [/itex] , the line opposite of it is exactly equal to [itex] \sqrt{{x^{2}}+{y^{2}}} [/itex] , and the line adjacent to it equal to [itex]z[/itex].

So I'm wondering if I'm in error (and how so if I am) or if the linked page is.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 1, 2013 #2

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

You are correct. That equation on that page is in error.

4. Dec 1, 2013 #3
    It appears that page is wrong. You're right, the correct relation is

##\theta = \tan ^{-1}\left( \frac{\sqrt{x^2 +y^2 }}{z}\right)##.

You could also write it as ##\theta = \cos ^{-1} \left(\frac{z}{\sqrt{x^2 +y^2 +z^2 }}\right)##

Edit: Darn you, jtBell, you beat me by seconds!

5. Dec 1, 2013 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

yep... it sure looks like they've got their sides mixed up.
    However, it is more usual to use ##\theta = \cos^{-1}(z/r):r=\sqrt{x^2+y^2+z^2}##

6. Dec 3, 2013 #5
    Thanks very much for all the replies! Are the equations for the x, y, and z components from a spherical coordinate system correct on that page, though?

And why is the ##\theta = \cos ^{-1} \left(\frac{z}{\sqrt{x^2 +y^2 +z^2 }}\right)## approach more common? The [itex]\theta = {tan^{-1}}( \frac{\sqrt{{x^{2}}+{y^{2}}}}{z})[/itex] one has less terms. Something to do with higher mathematics?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook