How to Convert Vectors to Spherical Coordinates at Given Points?

In summary, Homework Equations can be expressed in terms of x, y, z, and r. The Attempt at a Solution is to find θ, φ, and r. The solution is to use geometry and find r and θ.
Dong Hoon Lee

Homework Statement

transform the following vectors to spherical coordinates at the points given

10ax at P (x = -3 , y = 2, z=4)

Homework Equations

x y z can be chage into x = rsinθcosφ , y=rsinθsinφ , z=cosθ

The Attempt at a Solution

ax vector can be expressed ar,aθ,aφ so, I can change x , y, z through 2.

therefore we have to find θ, φ, r

also, we can know the sinθcosφ = x/r sinθsinφ = y/r z=cosθ

10ax = 10ax ar + 10ax aθ + 10ax aφ

= 10sinθcosφ + 10cosθcosφ - 10sinφ

>>>> I can fill out innerproduct between x and r but how to solve the others,

Is it right answer? I want to find more correctly one (it make lots of number, because find each variables through lots of calculation)

>>>> I want to more objective soultion !

>>>>> want to know how to chage between sehperical coordinates and cartesian coordinates
Thank you for your attention for me

Physics news on Phys.org
You have three equations and three unknowns.
It is better to use geometry though ... ferinstance "r" is the magnitude of the vector ##\vec r##, which is given by ##r^2=x^2+y^2+z^2##
Try sketching the vector.

I notice that "10ax" is not a vector though.

Likes Dong Hoon Lee
Of course you could always just look up the transformation from cartesian to spherical ...

Dong Hoon Lee said:

Homework Statement

transform the following vectors to spherical coordinates at the points given

10ax at P (x = -3 , y = 2, z=4)

Homework Equations

x y z can be chage into x = rsinθcosφ , y=rsinθsinφ , z=cosθ

The Attempt at a Solution

ax vector can be expressed ar,aθ,aφ so, I can change x , y, z through 2.

therefore we have to find θ, φ, r

also, we can know the sinθcosφ = x/r sinθsinφ = y/r z=cosθ

= 10sinθcosφ + 10cosθcosφ - 10sinφ

Is it right answer? I want to find more correctly one (it make lots of number, because find each variables through lots of calculation)
>>>> I want to more objective soultion !

>>>>> want to know how to chage between sehperical coordinates and cartesian coordinates
Thank you for your attention for me

When you write ##10ax## do you really mean ##10 a \vec{r} = 10 a \langle x,y,z \rangle?## One of these is a vector and the other is not.

Hmmm ... looking at the later notation: OP may be using "a" to indicate the unit vector ... see ar aφ etc later on, as in
So 10ax would mean ##\vec r = 10\hat a_x = (10,0,0)## cartesian ... which is very easy to put in spherical coordinates.
OTOH: that does not fit so well with the rest of the problem statement: the vector does not depend on position for example.

OP has been back since I replied and "liked" the reply ... presumably got what was needed.

1. What are spherical coordinates?

Spherical coordinates are a system used to describe the position of a point in three-dimensional space. They consist of a radial distance, an angle measured from the positive z-axis, and an angle measured from the positive x-axis in the xy-plane.

2. How are spherical coordinates different from Cartesian coordinates?

Spherical coordinates use a different set of coordinates to describe a point in space compared to Cartesian coordinates. While Cartesian coordinates use x, y, and z coordinates, spherical coordinates use a radial distance, an azimuthal angle, and a polar angle.

3. What is the relationship between spherical and cylindrical coordinates?

Spherical coordinates and cylindrical coordinates are both systems used to describe points in three-dimensional space. The main difference is that spherical coordinates use a radial distance, while cylindrical coordinates use a height. However, both systems have an angle component, with spherical coordinates using a polar angle and cylindrical coordinates using an angle of rotation.

4. How are spherical coordinates used in physics?

Spherical coordinates are commonly used in physics to describe the position of objects in three-dimensional space. They are particularly useful in problems involving spherical symmetry, such as the motion of planets or particles in a gravitational field.

5. What are the advantages and disadvantages of using spherical coordinates?

One advantage of using spherical coordinates is that they are particularly useful for problems with spherical symmetry. However, they can be more complex to work with compared to Cartesian coordinates, and converting between the two systems can be challenging.