What is the formula for determining small angles in spherical diopters?

In summary: When the professor says "PAC which is the alpha angle doesn't have A as the center of the circle", what exactly does he mean by that?
duchuy
Homework Statement
I can't seem to understand the relation
Relevant Equations
angle = length / length
Hi,
I don't understand how the professor managed to determine the values of alpha, alpha' and omega. What is the formula tha´t is applied to determine alpha = SP / AS and so on... knowing that alpha is a really small angle. Cheers
Capture.PNG

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to ask specific questions one at a time as you try to work through this. You could start by saying in specific detail what you wish to know when we are finished here.
The typical way to define an angle (in radians) is ?

hutchphd said:
You need to ask specific questions one at a time as you try to work through this. You could start by saying in specific detail what you wish to know when we are finished here.
Thanks for your reply, would you then mind explaining me how the professor managed to determine that alpha = SP / AS? I did try to use trigonometric formulas for this but the results were nowhere near SP / AS. Thanks a lot.

hutchphd said:
I don't really understand... PAC which is the alpha angle doesn't have A as the center of the circle and SP is the length of the the straight line SP not the curvature SP. Or in this case is SP referring to the length of the curvature? That would make sense for the omega angle but still not for alpha no?
Thanks

I see. Does he specify pt A in some way or is it arbitrary? This may be an approximation.

So when you say that this may be an approximation, are you saying that since alpha is a really small angle, therefore you could write tan alpha = alpha then use the tan = o/a to write these expressions right? This makes a lot of sense thanks a lot!

What is the spherical diopter formula?

The spherical diopter formula is a mathematical equation used to calculate the strength of a spherical lens, which is typically used to correct nearsightedness or farsightedness. It takes into account the curvature of the lens and the distance between the lens and the eye.

How is the spherical diopter formula calculated?

The spherical diopter formula is calculated by dividing the refractive power of the lens (in diopters) by the distance between the lens and the eye (in meters). The result is the curvature of the lens in meters, which is then converted to diopters.

What is the unit of measurement for the spherical diopter formula?

The unit of measurement for the spherical diopter formula is diopters, which is a unit of measurement for the refractive power of a lens. It indicates the degree of nearsightedness or farsightedness that a lens can correct.

Is the spherical diopter formula the same for all types of lenses?

No, the spherical diopter formula may vary depending on the type of lens being used. For example, the formula for a contact lens may be different from the formula for a glasses lens, as the distance between the lens and the eye may be different.

Can the spherical diopter formula be used for astigmatism?

No, the spherical diopter formula is only used for spherical lenses, which correct for nearsightedness or farsightedness. Astigmatism requires a different formula that takes into account the curvature of the cornea and the orientation of the astigmatism.