1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spherical eigenvalues/functions

1. Nov 18, 2006 #1
    OK, I have that a particle of mass m is moving on the surface of a sphere of radius R but is otherwise free. The Hamiltonian is H = L^2/(2mR^2). All I have to do is find the energies and wavefunctions of the stationary states...

this seems like it should be really easy, but I am struggling mightily for some reason. To be honest I don't even know how to get started.. I know eigenfunctions of Lz are also eigenfunctions of L^2. I know L^2 operating on [tex]Y^m_l[/tex] is [tex]\hbar^2l(l+1)Y^m_l[/tex]. I know once I get one stationary state I should be able to get the rest by operating the raising and lowering operators on it. But I just don't know how to get there. :(

Thanks as always for the help.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2006 #2
    Anybody have a clue how to go about this? I feel like I should be able to do this but I just can't. I've looked at it for hours and don't know how to begin.. nothing I've tried works. sigh. thanks for the help :)

4. Nov 19, 2006 #3
    Anybody? This should be a straightforward problem, which is what makes it so frustrating :(

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?