Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spherical Fourier transform

1. Dec 6, 2007 #1
    Does anyone know what the eigenfunctions of the spherical Fourier transform are? I want to expand a spherically symmetric function in these eigenfunctions.

Are they Bessel functions? Legendre functions?
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2007 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

4. Dec 6, 2007 #3

I have a spherically symmetric function - i.e. no theta/phi dependence. The spherical harmonics account for only the theta/phi dependence- or am I missing something?
  5. Dec 6, 2007 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

In that case your equation should reduce to an ordinary differential equation in [itex]\rho[/itex] and, if I remember correctly, for the Laplace operator, at least, it is an "Euler type" equation with powers of [itex]\rho[/itex] as solution.
  6. Dec 6, 2007 #5
    I'm not solving a differential eqn. I'm looking for an orthogonal basis where each basis function is an eigenfunction of the spherical Fourier transform.
  7. Dec 6, 2007 #6

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm pretty sure you can still expand it in terms of [itex]A \sin kr + B \cos kr[/itex]. It is, after all, some function of r, so you can just Fourier-transform it normally. If not, then try

[tex]\frac{A}{r} \sin kr + \frac{B}{r} \cos kr[/tex]

This is a solution of the wave equation in 3 dimensions, in the same since that sin and cos are solutions in 1 dimension, and Bessel functions are solutions in 2 dimensions.

I could be totally wrong here, though.

Yet another option is to write down the 3D Fourier transform in Cartesian coordinates, and transform it to spherical coordinates.
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2007
  8. Dec 6, 2007 #7
    Thanks- but I'm specifically looking for the eigenfunctions of the spherically symmetric Fourier transform. I've already got numerical solutions for the spherical FT.
  9. Jan 7, 2010 #8
  10. Dec 7, 2011 #9
    Thanks a LOT, dude, this paper just really helped me! Good thing that the internet doesn't forget so even such old threads can be helpful.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?