1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spherical Gamma-ray source

1. Nov 28, 2007 #1
    Encountered the following bonus question in a hwk assignment and neither myself nor my other class-mates have a clue on how to approach it. Or, if someone has ran across this or a similar problem in a text or online, please point me in that direction.
    Any help is greatly appreciated.

Given: A gamma-ray source in the shape of a homogeneous sphere of radius R, throughout which there is a homogeneous temperature distribution.

a. Calculate the factor by which the intensity is reduced through self-absorption. Express this as a function of:

1) source radius &
    2) source temperature

b. What is the magnitude of these reductions in the case of a 198-Au source (μ = 2.9 cm-1) of radius R = 0.15 cm when the temperature is changed by ΔT = 1000°C (linear coefficient of expansion α = 17 x 10-6 per °C).

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 28, 2007 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

I'd suggest the ring method, but IIRC it will be a complicated integral. I think I did a similar problem about 25+ years ago.

The intensity is simply a function of distance d and the radius, r which will determine the attenuation.

The thermal expansion will simply change the electron density, but I don't think by much.

ΔT = 1000°C (linear coefficient of expansion α = 17 x 10-6 per °C) means a difference of about 2% based on 1000 * 17 x 10-6 = 0.017

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?