1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spherical geometry

1. May 19, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The area of an equilateral triable is Pi/2.

1) Find the magnitude of its angles
    2) Find the length of its sides
    3) Find the area of its strict dual

2. Relevant equations

Area + Pi = sum of 3 angles
    cosa=cosbcosc + sinbsinccosu
    cosu=cosvcosw + sinvsinwcosa for sides length a,b,c and opposite angles of magnitude u,v,w

3. The attempt at a solution

1) I used the formula involving area, so Pi/2 + Pi = 3(magnitude of angle) so the answer is Pi/2. Assuming equilateral means the same in spherical geometry?

2) I used the cos formula with a=b=c, and the angle is Pi/2, getting to cosa= 0, a=Pi/2, or cosa=1, a=0, so a=Pi/2.

3) Considering the dual triangle to the triangle with sides a, b, c. This dual triangle has sides
    Pi − u, Pi − v, Pi − w. So we would get that the triangle has sides length Pi/2 again. So area Pi/2 again? I'm not very convinced about this.

2. jcsd
  3. May 19, 2010 #2
    Hi,
    You mean area of a equilateral triangle is Pi/2, which means Pi/2=1.571 ?
    Anyway for your 1st question you no need to know its area..Please see the properties of a equilateral triangle (all 3 sides are equal therefore all the 3 angles in a equilateral triangle are same) If you know it you can derive the value for the sides..(all sides are equal).
    3rd question: i really don't understand sorry.

4. May 19, 2010 #3
    pretty sure those answers are right

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook