1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spherical Harmonic Question

1. May 16, 2008 #1
    Spherical Harmonic Question!!!

Hi,

I have a spherical harmonic which is a function of [tex]\theta[/tex] and [tex]\phi[/tex], written as [tex]Y_n_m(\theta,\phi)[/tex]. I recently found an equation which is written as follows:

[tex]Y_n_m(\frac{x_2 - x_1}{\left\|x_2 - x_1\right\|})[/tex]

I am trying to understand its meaning in order to include it in my simulations. Note that in my case [tex]\theta = \pi/2[/tex] so the vectors become 2-dimensional.

I know that in order to evaluate a Spherical Harmonic we need a value for [tex]\theta[/tex] and a value for [tex]\phi[/tex]. As I can understand from the equation above, the [tex]\frac{x_2 - x_1}{\left\|x_2 - x_1\right\|}[/tex] term will produce a new normalized vector, that is the difference between [tex]x_2 - x_1[/tex]. In my case the points/vectors are located on a circle (not inside the circle) of some radius R.

The author of the book mentions that the magnitude is [tex]\left\|x_2 - x_1\right\| = 0.1,0.2,...2[/tex], in steps of 0.1. My problem is that I want to evaluate the Spherical Harmonic for all the values of [tex]\left\|x_2 - x_1\right\| = 0.1,0.2,...2[/tex] but I cannot see how to do it since the input to the spherical harmonic is the angle [tex](\theta=\pi/2, \phi)[/tex]. Knowing that [tex]\left\|x_2 - x_1\right\| = 0.1,0.2,...2[/tex] does not tell me anything about [tex]x_2 - x_1[/tex] or DOES IT???

I would appreciate someone's help

Thanks

Regards

Alex

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted