1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spherical harmonics problem

1. Oct 20, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the speherical harmonics [tex] (Y_1)^1, (Y_1)^0, (Y_1)^-1[/tex] as functions of the polar angles [tex]\theta[/tex] and [tex]\psi[/tex] and as functions of the cartesian coordinates x, y , and z.
    2. Relevant equations

[tex] \(phi_l)^l= sin^l(\theta)*e^il\psi[/tex]

[tex]L_\(phi_l)^l=(d/(d\theta))*\phi_l^l-l cot(\theta)\phi_l^l[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

The first thing I should do is normalized[tex]\(phi_l)^l[/tex] to get a value for the A constant

A^2*[tex] (sin^l(\theta)*exp(il\psi))^2[/tex]=1; should I plug in the values for m and l before I normalized the function or after I normalized the function

once I get the value for [tex] \(phi_l)^l[/tex] I can plug in this value into [tex]L_\(phi_l)^l=(d/(d\theta))*(\phi_l)^l-(l cot(\theta))(\phi_l)^l[/tex] correct?Not sure why I am finding the value for the lower opperator. Please inform me if you have a reallly really hard time understanding the latex code.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2009 #2
    just let me know if my latex is unreadable

4. Oct 21, 2009 #3
    Pretty much - I'm not sure what it is you need to do; Do you need to derive the spherical harmonics directly from their defining differential equation or do you merely need to express them in the different coordinate systems?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook