What are the functions X^m_1 that are eigenfunctions of L^2 and L_x?

In summary, the conversation discusses the spherical harmonics Y^m_l with l=1 and their relation to the angular momentum operator L^2 and L_z. The question asks to find a new set of three functions X^m_1 that are eigenfunctions of L^2 and L_x. The solution involves finding a superposition of the three given eigenfunctions in cartesian coordinates and expressing them in spherical coordinates.
Brewer

Homework Statement

The spherical harmonics [tex]Y^m_l[/tex] with l=1 are given by
[tex]Y^{-1}_1 = \sqrt{\frac{3}{8\pi}}\frac{x-iy}{r}, Y^0_1 = \sqrt{\frac{3}{4\pi}}\frac{z}{r}, Y^1_1 = -\sqrt{\frac{3}{8\pi}}\frac{x+iy}{r}[/tex]

and they are functions of [tex]L^2[/tex] and [tex]L_z[/tex] where L is the angular momentum.

i) From these functions find a new set of three functions [tex]X^m_1[/tex] which are now eigenfunctions of [tex]L^2[/tex] and [tex]L_x[/tex].

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not 100% sure about this question. Is it asking me to give the spherical harmonics in terms of [tex]\theta, \phi[/tex]? I think I can do that, but if that's not the question, could someone please explain to me what is being asked of me.

Thanks

Brewer

Physics news on Phys.org
Brewer said:

Homework Statement

The spherical harmonics [tex]Y^m_l[/tex] with l=1 are given by
[tex]Y^{-1}_1 = \sqrt{\frac{3}{8\pi}}\frac{x-iy}{r}, Y^0_1 = \sqrt{\frac{3}{4\pi}}\frac{z}{r}, Y^1_1 = -\sqrt{\frac{3}{8\pi}}\frac{x+iy}{r}[/tex]

and they are functions of [tex]L^2[/tex] and [tex]L_z[/tex] where L is the angular momentum.

i) From these functions find a new set of three functions [tex]X^m_1[/tex] which are now eigenfunctions of [tex]L^2[/tex] and [tex]L_x[/tex].

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not 100% sure about this question. Is it asking me to give the spherical harmonics in terms of [tex]\theta, \phi[/tex]? I think I can do that, but if that's not the question, could someone please explain to me what is being asked of me.

Thanks

Brewer

i think it would be better if you wrote your spherical harmonics in spherical coords ..

but in any case
if [itex] X_{lm} [/itex] is an eignefunction of L^2 and Lz then
[tex] \hat{L_{z}} X_{lm} = mX_{lm} [/tex]
and
[tex] \hat{L^2} X_{lm} = l(l+1) X_{lm} [/tex]
and i think Xlm would b acquired by finding a superposition of the three given eigenfunctions.

Thats what the question gives, cartesian coords.

1. What are spherical harmonics within quantum mechanics?

Spherical harmonics are mathematical functions used to describe the wave-like behavior of particles in quantum mechanics. They represent the spatial distribution of a particle's probability density and are used to solve the Schrödinger equation for spherically symmetric systems.

2. How are spherical harmonics related to the quantum mechanical angular momentum?

Spherical harmonics are closely related to the quantum mechanical angular momentum, as they are eigenfunctions (or solutions) of the angular momentum operator. This means that they have well-defined values for the orbital and spin angular momentum of a particle.

3. What is the physical significance of spherical harmonics?

The physical significance of spherical harmonics lies in their ability to describe the wave-like behavior of particles in quantum mechanics. They provide a way to understand the spatial distribution of a particle's probability density, which is crucial in predicting the behavior of quantum systems.

4. Can spherical harmonics be used to describe other systems besides spherically symmetric ones?

While spherical harmonics are commonly used to solve the Schrödinger equation for spherically symmetric systems, they can also be applied to non-spherical systems. This is because they are a complete basis set, meaning they can be combined to describe any function in three-dimensional space.

5. How are spherical harmonics used in practical applications of quantum mechanics?

Spherical harmonics are used in a variety of practical applications in quantum mechanics, such as calculating atomic wave functions, predicting the behavior of molecules, and understanding the magnetic properties of materials. They are also essential in the development of quantum technologies, such as quantum computing and quantum cryptography.