1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spherical harmonics

1. Dec 11, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Why is is the for physical applications of the spherical harmonics |m| must be less than or equal to l, with both being integers?

2. Relevant equations
    Y(m,l)=exp(im phi)P{m,l}(cos theta)
    Hopefully my notation is clear, if not please say.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Well m must be integer so that the the exponential is single valued as we go through 2pi on the phi axis, and l must also be integer so that the associated Legendre equation is well behaved at the poles, but I'm not sure why we require |m| is less than or equal to l? I suppose it must be something to do with the behaviour of the P part of the solution but I can't see what.

Any hints/ help appreciated,
    Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 12, 2007 #2

Avodyne

Science Advisor

Well, it's possible to prove just from the commutation relations of the components of the angular momentum operator that m (the eigenvalue of Lz/hbar) must be less than or equal to l (where l(l+1) is the eigenvalue of L^2/hbar^2). Classically, Lz must be less than or equal to L^2, so this is sensible.

Edit: I meant to say that, classically, Lz^2 (not Lz) must be less than or equal to L^2.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2007
  4. Dec 12, 2007 #3
    Thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?