1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spherical Harmonics

1. Jan 19, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hi!!! I need help with this. I have to calculate the expression of a function using spherical harmonics. The relevant equations are given below. An example of a function can be f(theta,phi) = sin(theta)... Can you help me to calculate de coeficients and to express the function? Thanks.

2. Relevant equations

View attachment formulas.doc

3. The attempt at a solution
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 19, 2009 #2

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hola pgerlein. Welcome to PF:smile:

Why don't you show us what you've tried for your example ([itex]f(\theta,\phi)=sin(\theta)[/itex]) and we'll know how to help you better.

To make equation writing easier, this forum supports LaTeX. You can find an introduction to using it by clicking here
  4. Jan 20, 2009 #3
    I can´t understand the use of this base (spherical harmonics). If I solve the ecuation that gives the coefficients value, how can I express the function in terms of the spherical harmonics?
  5. Jan 20, 2009 #4

Gold Member

How would you express a function in terms of a Fourier series, for example? Essentially it's the same idea when you write any function in terms of an infinite series of basis functions.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?