1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spherical Infinite Well

1. Sep 29, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A particle of mass ##m## is constrained to move between two concentric hard spheres of radii ##r = a## and ##r = b##. There is no potential between the spheres. Find the ground state energy and wave function.

2. Relevant equations
    $$\frac{-\hbar^2}{2m} \frac{d^2 u}{dr^2} + [V(r) + \frac{-\hbar^2}{2m} \frac{\ell (\ell + 1)}{r^2}]u = Eu$$

3. The attempt at a solution
    The relevant equation here is the radial equation component of the time independent schroedinger equation for a central potential, where ##u(r) \equiv rR(r)##. Effectively, this is an infinite square well potential such that inside the concentric spheres the potential is ##0## and in the ground state ##\ell = 0## so our effective differential equation becomes
    $$\frac{d^2 u}{dr^2} = -\frac{2mE}{\hbar^2}u \equiv -k^2 u$$
    with the solution
    $$u(r) = rR(r) = A sin(kr) + B cos(kr)$$
    We can apply the boundary conditions that ##R(a) = 0## and ##R(b) = 0##. However, my problem comes from the fact that I don't know how to get anything out of these boundary conditions. Most of the time, the problem is that ##a = 0## and that boundary condition gives the quantization of ##k##, but here I don't see how to pull out that quantization. Is there some part of this problem that I'm missing?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2014 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

If you just look at it you can see the shape the solutions have to have. Sketch the first few on your diagram.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted